Using wheel on MS intelipoint mouse as middle button

Using wheel on MS intelipoint mouse as middle button

Post by Andrew Weilan » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a Microsoft
Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows since the wheel is
clickable and does function as a button for certain things under MS windows?

Post by Dan Mic » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a Microsoft
> Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows since the wheel is
> clickable and does function as a button for certain things under MS windows?

I'm told by those who know that we investigated this when the mouse
became available, and the middle button press generated things
we couldn't figure out, and there was no spec (i.e. it's a mouse
designed to work with Microsoft products).

If anyone knows of a specification for the protocol, we'd be happy
to see it.

Using wheel on MS intelipoint mouse as middle button

Post by Dan Mic » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a Microsoft
> > Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows since the wheel is
> > clickable and does function as a button for certain things under MS windows?

> I'm told by those who know that we investigated this when the mouse
> became available, and the middle button press generated things
> we couldn't figure out, and there was no spec (i.e. it's a mouse
> designed to work with Microsoft products).

> If anyone knows of a specification for the protocol, we'd be happy
> to see it.

Following up to my own post, perhaps there is a spec now.
I've added the information to our internal request-tracking system;
maybe we'll get working on it soon.  Tell your sales reps
you absolutely must have it.  :)

Using wheel on MS intelipoint mouse as middle button

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

>> > Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a Microsoft
>> > Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows since the wheel is
>> > clickable and does function as a button for certain things under MS windows?

>> I'm told by those who know that we investigated this when the mouse
>> became available, and the middle button press generated things
>> we couldn't figure out, and there was no spec (i.e. it's a mouse
>> designed to work with Microsoft products).

>> If anyone knows of a specification for the protocol, we'd be happy
>> to see it.

> Following up to my own post, perhaps there is a spec now.
> I've added the information to our internal request-tracking system;
> maybe we'll get working on it soon.  Tell your sales reps
> you absolutely must have it.  :)

See http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
It's evidently working on recent Linux and XFree86; it should
be possible to track the links and/or examine recent XFree86 code
to figure it out.

Also, _please_ port the vuidmice(7m) modules (along with any new
wheel mouse module) to SPARC as well as x86.  The
rat module (ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/admin-tools/rat_14.tar.Z)
proves that the notion of plugging a serial mouse into a SPARC's
serial port is perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't be surprised
if your modules are a little more flexible.  I got "rat" to work
fine with a cheap trackball that had a switch to go to 3-button
Mouse Systems mode or 2-button Microsoft mouse mode, but newer
mice seem to expect an initialization sequence to be sent to them
rather than having a switch, such that I can't get them to work
quite so easily.  (I have the Sun keyboard/mouse adaptor, and
both the trackball and the other pointer device work with it, but
only as two-button devices, which isn't very helpful.)

--
ftp> get |fortune
377 I/O error: smart remark generator failed

Bogonics: the primary language inside the Beltway

Post by John Riddoc » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > > Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a Microsoft
> > > Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows since the wheel is
> > > clickable and does function as a button for certain things under MS windows?

> > I'm told by those who know that we investigated this when the mouse
> > became available, and the middle button press generated things
> > we couldn't figure out, and there was no spec (i.e. it's a mouse
> > designed to work with Microsoft products).

> > If anyone knows of a specification for the protocol, we'd be happy
> > to see it.

> Following up to my own post, perhaps there is a spec now.
> I've added the information to our internal request-tracking system;
> maybe we'll get working on it soon.  Tell your sales reps
> you absolutely must have it.  :)

Check out imouse; it's designed for linux, but may work under Solaris
x86 (although you might need XFree86).

--

Room C4, School of Computer and Mathematical Science
Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, AB25 1HG

Post by Charles Stephen » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

 AW> Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a
 AW> Microsoft Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows
 AW> since the wheel is clickable and does function as a button for
 AW> certain things under MS windows?

I have used several wheel mice and it works.  Solaris sees it as a
three button PS/2 mouse.  The wheel doesn't do anything, but pressing
down on the wheel is read as button 2.

cfs
--
Charles F. Stephens               = cfs  AT  eng.sun.com
Software Psychic and Illuminary   =

Post by Pablo Ariel Koha » Wed, 27 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>  AW> Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a
>  AW> Microsoft Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows
>  AW> since the wheel is clickable and does function as a button for
>  AW> certain things under MS windows?

> I have used several wheel mice and it works.  Solaris sees it as a
> three button PS/2 mouse.  The wheel doesn't do anything, but pressing
> down on the wheel is read as button 2.

I bet it was a version 1.1A MS-Mouse...
Newer ones (1.2) aren't recognized by Solaris...
I believe they have modified the protocol...

--
?1999  Pablo Ariel Kohan | All opinions expressed herein are my own and

  http://www.memco.com   | stated. Permission is hereby granted for use
  Tel:  +972-3-6450052   | in follow-up articles, FAQ's and digests.

Using wheel on MS intelipoint mouse as middle button

Post by Grasshoppe » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

has anyone got the intellimouse 1.1A SERIAL (not PS/2) to work with 2.6 for
intel?

I can't find anyone who has...

Thanks!

GRASSHOPPER

>Would it be possible somehow to configure the wheel on a Microsoft
>Intellimouse to act as a middle button in openwindows since the wheel is
>clickable and does function as a button for certain things under MS
windows?

1. Q: MS Mouse with Wheel: middle button howto?

I have the following:

MS MousePort Mouse with Wheel
GW2K p6 180
Debian GNU/Linux 1.2 + XFree86

Can I get the clickable wheel to be recognized as a middle button
click?  If so, how?

--
Mike Rilee NASA/GSFC Mailstop 930.0 Greenbelt, MD 20771

--
Composed using Oberon. http://www-cs.inf.ethz.ch/Oberon.html

2. Library Linking problem

3. Setting up 3-button mouse with the middle button as wheel?

4. for while (file) ?

5. Using middle button on 2-button mouse

6. memory problems on Sparc 1+

7. middle mouse button on three button mice

8. Driver for Xircom Pocket Ethernet yet?

9. wheel on mouse equivalent to middle button?

10. Wheel mouse in X -not- be middle button?

11. Middle mouse button acts wierd! Using Logitech mouse

12. HELP PLEASE middle mouse button/wheel won't work

13. Caldera 2.2 and Logitech First Mouse + (w/ Wheel) and MS Wheel Mouse