Help: connect two SUN sparc (easy one)

Post by Jason J » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

We have two sun Sparc stations in our lab, where there's no network access.
One is SUN SPARC 5 running Solaris 2.5, and another Sparc IPX , runing SUN
OS 4.1.3. Both of them have a Twisted pair Port on the back.

I would like to connect them together, so that they can share hardware
(like SCSI drive) and softwares. since I got conflicting informations, I
have the following question for your unix gurus:

(1) Can I simply hook they up with a twisted pair cable, or do I really
need a hub to make it work, why?

(2) once I hook them up, what kind of software configuration i need to do?
A brief description od what need to be done and  point to some reference
resources would be of great help.

Thank you very much for the help. if you could email methat would be great.

--

Post by Michael Salmo » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> We have two sun Sparc stations in our lab, where there's no network
> access. One is SUN SPARC 5 running Solaris 2.5, and another Sparc IPX,
> runing SUNOS 4.1.3. Both of them have a Twisted pair Port on the back.

> I would like to connect them together, so that they can share hardware
> (like SCSI drive) and softwares. since I got conflicting informations,
> I have the following question for your unix gurus:

> (1) Can I simply hook they up with a twisted pair cable, or do I
> really need a hub to make it work, why?

To connect them you need to have a TP cable that exchanges the send and
receive pairs (similar in concept to a null modem). That will only work
for two machines though so I suggest that you use a mini-hub, they are
pretty cheap and will work even if you want to connect a third machine.

Quote:> (2) once I hook them up, what kind of software configuration i need to
> do? A brief description od what need to be done and  point to some
> reference resources would be of great help.

Once you have your hardware the installation is completely normal with
the exception that you should use an address from the ranges given in
RFC-1597. I would also suggest that you don't specify a router or use
NIS.

--
? 1995,1996 Michael Salmon
All opinions expressed in this article remain the property of

Help: connect two SUN sparc (easy one)

Post by Steve McKinty - SunSoft ICNC Grenob » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Hello,

>We have two sun Sparc stations in our lab, where there's no network access.
>One is SUN SPARC 5 running Solaris 2.5, and another Sparc IPX , runing SUN
>OS 4.1.3. Both of them have a Twisted pair Port on the back.

>I would like to connect them together, so that they can share hardware
>(like SCSI drive) and softwares. since I got conflicting informations, I
>have the following question for your unix gurus:

>(1) Can I simply hook they up with a twisted pair cable, or do I really
>need a hub to make it work, why?

Just use a crossed-over cable, it works fine.  If I remember correctly
the cable needs to be wired:

1 -> 3
2 -> 6
3 -> 1
6 -> 2

with 1&2 on one pair, and 3&6 on the other.

Quote:>(2) once I hook them up, what kind of software configuration i need to do?
>A brief description od what need to be done and  point to some reference
>resources would be of great help.

Nothing if you've already given them an IP address during installation.
Just connect them.

Steve

--
Steve McKinty                   |
Sun Microsystems ICNC           |

Help: connect two SUN sparc (easy one)

Post by Neil Waybrig » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>(1) Can I simply hook they up with a twisted pair cable, or do I really
>need a hub to make it work, why?

make a cross-over cable something like this (your pair colors may
differ)
   Plug 1                              Plug 2
1-White/Green                           1-White/Orange
2-Green/White                           2-Orange/White
3-White/Orange                          3-White/Green
4-Blue/White                            4-Blue/White
5-White/Blue                            5-White/Blue
6-Orange/White                          6-Green/White
7-White/Brown                           7-White/Brown
8-Brown/White                           8-Brown/White

Quote:>(2) once I hook them up, what kind of software configuration i need to do?
>A brief description od what need to be done and  point to some reference
>resources would be of great help.

Both SunOS and Solaris are trivial to get networking.  If they are not
networking now, simply touch /etc/hostname.le0 and run sys-unconfig.
Answer the questions it asks you on reboot (IP address, netmask, name
service (probably "none" in your case), hostname and time zone).  Then
add the other host to your /etc/hosts file and you should be
networking happily.  It can be done other ways, just this is pretty
much idiot proof.

Neil

Help: connect two SUN sparc (easy one)

Post by Eric Ewan » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>    We have two sun Sparc stations in our lab, where there's no network access.
>    One is SUN SPARC 5 running Solaris 2.5, and another Sparc IPX , runing SUN
>    OS 4.1.3. Both of them have a Twisted pair Port on the back.
>    I would like to connect them together, so that they can share hardware
>    (like SCSI drive) and softwares. since I got conflicting informations, I
>    have the following question for your unix gurus:
>    (1) Can I simply hook they up with a twisted pair cable, or do I really
>    need a hub to make it work, why?

As far as I know, yes, you should be able to do this.  You need a crossover
cable, though.

Quote:>    (2) once I hook them up, what kind of software configuration i need to do?
>    A brief description od what need to be done and  point to some reference
>    resources would be of great help.

You will probably want to use NFS to do your sharing.  This will permit you to
cross-mount disks so that remote disks appear on your local filesystem
transparently (transparently, that is, after you configure it).  Read your man
pages on NFS (man nfs, nfsd, exports, mount).  You also need to configure ip;
see the man page on ifconfig.

--

# __   __                    Eric Ewanco

# ---+---           Software Engineer, Xyplex Inc.
# NI | KA                  Littleton, Mass.

Help: connect two SUN sparc (easy one)

Post by Dan Sha » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

You do not need a hub to hook two sparcs together.
But the cable has to be modified.

1. two routers (two wans) connecting to one lan using two nics.

Hello,
Let me try reposting this once more maybe I wasn't too clear in my
I have a Linux RH7.3 server running ssh service. I want clients to log
in using ssh from two different Wans.

Wan1: Frame relay router (closed network with another frame relay
router)
Wan2:DSL router allowing clients to login from the internet.

The ip of the frame relay router is 192.168.100.254
The ip of the dsl router is 192.168.10.254

The fr relay is associated with eth0:192.168.100.10 defaultgw
192.168.100.254
The dsl is associated with eth1:192.168.10.10 defaultgw 192.168.10.254

Our GUI network configurator is not working due to bugzilla reports.
However it worked during the initial install and setup of these two
cards. But now we cannot access the tool.
We tried linuxconf but that only allows us one default gw to be
configured. Only one network works at a time.

Is it possible to have two default gateways (one per interface) and
have the box recognize and negotiate them both at the same time?
Which config files can I vi to achieve the desired result of two
gateways without using the gui tool?
If we are only allowed one default gateway per machine, how will the
box know
that the other router exists?
If static routes is the answer, then it is not clear to me how this
will work.
route -net add 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 eth1
Remember someone coming over the internet will have a private ip of
192.168.20.1 nat'ed through some pubic ip 68.1.1.10 for example trying
to ssh to
my public ip 68.1.10.20 conecting to my eth1:192.168.10.10.

        |--?------eth1---dsl router--------internet
server--|
        |--defgw--eth0---frame router1--|--frame router2

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

2. DVD Player with Redhat 5.2

3. easy easy easy one

4. How can a user find out how much memory his/her process is using?

5. Need help in connecting/networking 3 Sun Sparc

6. SCSI and BIOS32 extensions

7. HELP: Connecting Sun-Sparc with Win-NT

8. Solaris Installation trouble

9. One easy, one less so, one not quite so.....

10. HELP : Two 3c905 one works one does not

11. how to connect two ide harrddisks for ultra Sparc 10

12. dynamic mic connected to sun sparc 10

13. Problems with connecting HP Plotter to Sun Sparc 10