Slip client for Solaris?

Post by Bjorn E » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

 I need to find a slip client program for Solaris 2.5 (SPARC). I'd prefer a
 free one, but a decent commercial one would be OK too. I looked at the
 source distribution of cslip-2.7 but the FAQ included with it implied that
 it had not yet been ported to Solaris...

 Any tips would be appreciated!

 Bjorn Eng
 Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Slip client for Solaris?

Post by Dave A » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

>  I need to find a slip client program for Solaris 2.5 (SPARC). I'd prefer a
>  free one, but a decent commercial one would be OK too. I looked at the
>  source distribution of cslip-2.7 but the FAQ included with it implied that
>  it had not yet been ported to Solaris...

>  Any tips would be appreciated!

>  Bjorn Eng
>  Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Check out Progressive Sytems, Inc. and their MorningStar PPP product (it does SLIP too).
I have it running on Solaris 2.4, feature rich, but pricy at $895.00.

[ www.Progressive-Systems.com 3K ]

Welcome to ...

The new home of Morning Star PPP

We are pleased to announce the continued development, sales and support of Morning Star Technologies' popular Point-to-Point Protocol Software. We will remain a source of wide-area communications products for low-cost Internet connectivity, branch office LAN integration, and telecommuting applications.

Please bear with us as we complete our transition. All correspondence should be directed to the addresses and phone numbers listed below. Watch here for further information and announcements.

Products
Point to Point
X.25
SnapLink
Product Support
Technical Support Hotline
Technical Support via Email
Company Information
Opportunities
Other Resources
TCP/IP Information
SNMP Information
Ethernet Homepage
Columbus
[Products] [Product Support] [Opportunities] [Other Resources]

Reach us at:

Progressive Systems Inc.
3518 Riverside Dr, Suite 201
Columbus OH USA 43221-1754
+1 614 326 4600 (voice)
+1 800 330 7127 (voice)
+1 614 326 4601 (FAX)

ftp.MorningStar.Com:pub/ (anonymous FTP)
http://www.Progressive-Systems.Com (WWW)

WHS

Last Update :06/20/96

Slip client for Solaris?

Post by Bjorn En » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> PPP is better than slip. The PPP in 2.5 can do dynamic config.

I know! Unfortunately the "other end" of this link currently does NOT
speak PPP, only slip.

Thanks,

 Bjorn Eng

Slip client for Solaris?

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

 >> PPP is better than slip. The PPP in 2.5 can do dynamic config.
 >>

 >I know! Unfortunately the "other end" of this link currently does NOT
 >speak PPP, only slip.

Try SLiRP.  It emulates SLIP or PPP, but runs in user space.  There is a
newsgroup, alt.dcom.slip-emulators.  I have collected a series of resources
explaining its use on the GMI CWIS, at URL
http://www.gmi.edu/master/comp_res/softarch/slirp/

I do not have the code in the archive, but there is a link to the
official SLiRP homepage http://blitzen.canberra.edu.au/slirp/.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt.Inst. ()  /   _____  ______

Slip client for Solaris?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>> PPP is better than slip. The PPP in 2.5 can do dynamic config.

>I know! Unfortunately the "other end" of this link currently does NOT
>speak PPP, only slip.

dp-4.0 claims to support SLIP too (earlier versions didn't).

From other posting about dp-4.0, I see the URL is:
http://www.acn.purdue.edu/dp