Format question

Post by Peter Cattane » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 02:43:23

Hi found something interesting today.  While installing a new drive, I
checked the partition table of the existing drives.  None of the drives have
a partition slice 2 setup as Backup.  On the drive with the OS, slice 2 is
even partitioned as /export/home.  Other drives have one partition, and
slice 2 contains nothing, no Backup..
The machine works fine, and always has.  What kind of problems can this
cause?  Should I be worried?
The machine has been setup like this for 3 years with no trouble......

Thanks

Peter

--
Peter Cattaneo
Syracuse University

http://rifts.syr.edu
http://malawidrilling.syr.edu

Format question

Post by Axel Neuman » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 03:30:06

> Hi found something interesting today.  While installing a new drive, I
> checked the partition table of the existing drives.  None of the drives
have
> a partition slice 2 setup as Backup.  On the drive with the OS, slice 2 is
> even partitioned as /export/home.  Other drives have one partition, and
> slice 2 contains nothing, no Backup..
> The machine works fine, and always has.  What kind of problems can this
> cause?  Should I be worried?
> The machine has been setup like this for 3 years with no trouble......

> Thanks

> Peter

> --
> Peter Cattaneo
> Syracuse University
> Department of Earth Sciences
> 204 Heroy Geology Laboratory
> Syracuse, New York 13244
> Phone: 315-443-4334
> Fax: 315-443-3363

> http://rifts.syr.edu
> http://malawidrilling.syr.edu

Hi,

By default slice 2 contains the whole disk (from block 0 to the the end).

You can use slice 2 for any purpose you want without a problem as long you
are not installing any software that is depending on the default layout,
i.e. Veritas Volume Manager.

HTH,

Axel Neumann

1. Solars FORMAT question

Presently running a  Sparc 20 w/2.5 Solaris. Recently the power supply
died and I think that the main drive may have crashed also. The system
is unable to mount the /export/home directory and throws up errors
stating the fact that it cannot mount to  /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0
(which btw, was the mount point of /export/home).

I cannot newfs, mkfs, mount or unmount an /export/home directory now
and believe that the /dev/dsk/c1t2dos0 partition has taken a crash
somewhere. My last hope is to format the  partition and hope for the
best. When running the "format" command, here is what the machine sees
as the drives to format:

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t3d0 <SUN1.05 cyl 2036 alt 2 hd 14 sec 72>

       1. c1t0d0 <SUN2.1G cyl 2733 alt 2 hd 19 sec 80>

       2. c1t1d0 <drive type unknown>

       3. c1t2d0 <SUN2.1G cyl 2733 alt 2 hd 19 sec 80>

       4. c1t3d0 <SUN2.1G cyl 2733 alt 2 hd 19 sec 80>

The #2 drive is the one I am wanting to format. #2, 3, & 4 are all on
the same drive. As you can see, #2 is presently showing an unknown
drive type. If I go to format #2, is it going to only wipe out the
partition of c1t1d0 or am i going to clean the whole drive?

Any Answers to this delimma would be helpful.

William Roberts
---------------

2. checking the MBR and boot sector

3. Sound Format Question

4. Mice ( Mouses? )

5. Network Drive Format Question

6. What happened to my ability to broadcast on local wire?

7. ide st39120A format question

8. Welcome to comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc!

9. a format question

10. ps format question

11. dvd+rw-format question

12. BIN format question