umask 022

Post by Griff Mille » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Can I know the impact if I set a user profile to umask=022. What's the
> difference if 027 or 077 is used?

umask of 022 will cause new files created not to be writable by group
and other. 027 means not writable by group, and not readable/writable/executable
by other. 077 means not readable/writable/executable by group and other.

You ought to read the umask (1) man page. It will tell you what you
need to know.

--
Griff Miller II
Manager of Information Technology      "Beware of those who seek to win an

umask 022

Post by Dwai » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

umask works this way:
user group other
000  010   010   ------umask of 022
110  110   110   ------file created in mode 666
110  100    100  ------effective permission on file (thus removing the
write permission for group and others on the file)
Here the "1" bit in the umask will effectively mask/filter the
permission on the permission of the file created thus.
So a umask of 027 will take off write permission for group and all
permissions(i.e. rwx) for others.
And a umask of 077 will take off rwx permissions for group and others.

HTH.
Dwai.

Quote:> Hi,

--
Unix Rules....Windoze sucks!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

umask 022

Post by Joan » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:38:33

Hi,
Can I know the impact if I set a user profile to umask=022. What's the
difference if 027 or 077 is used?

Thanks,
Joan

1. umask 022

Hi!

Just got cited by the auditors for having a umask of 022 as default for
user logins, but when they login, they are brought to a profile which sets
the umask to 116.  They want me to change the umask to 077, which is fine
but I thought as long as they are brought into a certain directory, and
then assume that setting, it should be fine.

Kathy

2. Grep with Regex Negation

3. Aliases

4. umask 022 gives mode 755?

5. Modem configuration

6. umask 022, execute?

7. color_xterm bug

8. the umask of root in SLS should be 022 ??

9. umask found 00 instead of 022 requested

10. Jumbo Patch 22 -- what does 22 mean ?

11. mksysb "0516-022" lslv: Illegal parameter or structure value

12. INFO-UNIX Digest V15#022