What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

Post by alex.g.. » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:25:44

What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
unworthy, and never released it? Would the world as we know it be
different now?

I think so. For one thing, computers are getting more powerful
exponetially, the time of DOS-derivatives was over, and I think
commercial UNIX OSes like IRIX (awesome!) and Solaris (OK) would get
much of the PC market share for themselves. However, before this could
happen Linux came, killed IRIX and near-killed Solaris.

Now we are stuck with a choice of a hobbiest UNX-like creation, and
something non-UNIX at all (XP). Thanks a lot, *!

Post by Chris Co » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:45:16

> What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
> unworthy, and never released it? Would the world as we know it be
> different now?

> I think so. For one thing, computers are getting more powerful
> exponetially, the time of DOS-derivatives was over, and I think
> commercial UNIX OSes like IRIX (awesome!) and Solaris (OK) would get
> much of the PC market share for themselves. However, before this could
> happen Linux came, killed IRIX and near-killed Solaris.

> Now we are stuck with a choice of a hobbiest UNX-like creation, and
> something non-UNIX at all (XP). Thanks a lot, *!

And we're apparently stuck with trolls.

What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

Post by mst » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 12:55:13

Quote:> What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
> unworthy, and never released it? Would the world as we know it be
> different now?

> I think so. For one thing, computers are getting more powerful
> exponetially, the time of DOS-derivatives was over, and I think
> commercial UNIX OSes like IRIX (awesome!) and Solaris (OK) would get
> much of the PC market share for themselves. However, before this could
> happen Linux came, killed IRIX and near-killed Solaris.

> Now we are stuck with a choice of a hobbiest UNX-like creation, and
> something non-UNIX at all (XP). Thanks a lot, *!

So use Solaris, freak.

--
remove MYSHOES to email

What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

Post by Alan Conno » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:20:07

Google Groups is for accessing the Usenet Archives.

If you don't have enough committment to the Usenet to use
a real newsreader and a real newsserver, myself and
many others will not help you or even read your articles.

See alt.free.newsservers and news.software.readers.

You also need a unique name in your From header.

email address (name)

or

name <email address>

At http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

You can check if a name has been taken by plugging
choices into the Author box. Do not include the email
address part or the "()". Do not put the name in quotes.
Limit the chacters you choose to "A-Za-z0-9" and "-",
just to be safe. There's plenty of room there.

If a name returns no hits, you can use it.

Make it yours by using it exclusively.

AC

--
People who post through GG take and take and never give
anything back. Please don't help them.

What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

Post by alex.g.. » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:38:20

This guy is a racist. See, when racists see something they don't like,
they try to generalize, find a group that what they don't like belongs
too, and then claim that this group is somehow intrinsically bad. In
this case this Net-racist claims that people who use Google Groups are
subhuman, are an subclass. Typical racist Linux zealot.

Post by Logan Sha » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:00:46

> This guy is a racist. See, when racists see something they don't like,
> they try to generalize, find a group that what they don't like belongs
> too, and then claim that this group is somehow intrinsically bad. In
> this case this Net-racist claims that people who use Google Groups are
> subhuman, are an subclass. Typical racist Linux zealot.

No, I think the claim is that trolls named "alex.gman" are sub-human
and intrinsically bad.  Sounds like a good argument to me.

By the way, it's "hobbyist", not "hobbiest".

HTH. HAND.

   - Logan

Post by alex.g.. » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:02:46

> > This guy is a racist. See, when racists see something they don't like,
> > they try to generalize, find a group that what they don't like belongs
> > too, and then claim that this group is somehow intrinsically bad. In
> > this case this Net-racist claims that people who use Google Groups are
> > subhuman, are an subclass. Typical racist Linux zealot.

> No, I think the claim is that trolls named "alex.gman" are sub-human
> and intrinsically bad.  Sounds like a good argument to me.

> By the way, it's "hobbyist", not "hobbiest".

I know. I noticed it after posting. See, I can't get a spell checker to
work in this g/d Firefox. Thanks though.

Post by Giorgos Keramida » Sat, 12 Nov 2005 17:49:38

>> By the way, it's "hobbyist", not "hobbiest".

> I know. I noticed it after posting. See, I can't get a spell
> checker to work in this g/d Firefox. Thanks though.

Use a real newsreader then.  Like Gnus for instance.  Web-based
so-called 'interfaces' are almost invariably broken in multiple,
horrible ways.  Google groups is not an exception.

Why is all this topical in all the groups you have crossposted is
another story though, but trolling was never an art mastered by
competent, logically thinking human beings, so I guess there is
no hope.

Post by ray » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:30:47

> What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
> unworthy, and never released it? Would the world as we know it be
> different now?

> I think so. For one thing, computers are getting more powerful
> exponetially, the time of DOS-derivatives was over, and I think
> commercial UNIX OSes like IRIX (awesome!) and Solaris (OK) would get
> much of the PC market share for themselves. However, before this could
> happen Linux came, killed IRIX and near-killed Solaris.

> Now we are stuck with a choice of a hobbiest UNX-like creation, and
> something non-UNIX at all (XP). Thanks a lot, *!

I dunno - what if the moon WAS made of green cheese?

Post by hubca » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:39:23

>What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
>unworthy, and never released it?

A bunch of scientists who turned their cra**y windows 95 boxes
into decent computers 10 or 15 years ago wouldn't gotten nearly
so much work done.

-Mike

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:33:32

|>What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
|>unworthy, and never released it?
|
|A bunch of scientists who turned their cra**y windows 95 boxes
|into decent computers 10 or 15 years ago wouldn't gotten nearly
|so much work done.

Sure they would, they'd just have spent their spare time arguing over
whether FreeBSD or NetBSD was better instead of arguing over which Linux
distro was coolest.

 http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~alanc/   *   http://blogs.sun.com/alanc/

What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

Post by notbo » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:39:29

Quote:> A bunch of scientists who turned their cra**y windows 95 boxes
> into decent computers 10 or 15 years ago wouldn't gotten nearly
> so much work done.

See what happens when you respond to these cretins?  You've just been
gang trolled!

nb

Post by David L. Johnso » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:49:37

>>What if Linus Torvals felt that his toy Operating System prototype was
>>unworthy, and never released it?

> A bunch of scientists who turned their cra**y windows 95 boxes
> into decent computers 10 or 15 years ago wouldn't gotten nearly
> so much work done.

Well, that was me -- except it was Windows 3.1 and I'm a mathematician,
not a scientist.  But I looked around for "a unix" that I could run on a
PC.  But, way back then, I believe that linux was it.  I recall
considering minix, but that was actually no longer being actively fiddled
with (we did use a minix bootloader at first, though).  I?don't believe
there was a *bsd* that ran on a cheap machine then.

Frankly, had Linus not come around, we might all still be waiting for the
Hurd.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
 _`\(,_  | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality.  -- Albert Einstein

What if Linus Torvalds= never released his toy kernel?

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:07:05

[10 years ago]

Quote:> Well, that was me -- except it was Windows 3.1 and I'm a mathematician,
> not a scientist.  But I looked around for "a unix" that I could run on a
> PC.  But, way back then, I believe that linux was it.       I recall
> considering minix, but that was actually no longer being actively fiddled
> with (we did use a minix bootloader at first, though).  Idon't believe
> there was a *bsd* that ran on a cheap machine then.

I think you're right. I think they cost money (12, 13 years, and more
ago). I started using linux around kernel 1.1.52, which must have been,
oh, around 1993, 1994?

Before that I remember coherent unix, which cst mild amounts of money ($200?)
for something on a 286. Linux came about when the 386 arrived, because
the 386 had hardware support for task switching (virtual 86 mode) and
many other things (mmu) that greatly simplified writing an o/s by
offloading the hard bits onto the hardware.

Quote:> Frankly, had Linus not come around, we might all still be waiting for the
> Hurd.

:-). Yes. They WERE working on it back then, were they not?

Peter

Post by John Schmid » Sun, 13 Nov 2005 04:09:12

>>A bunch of scientists who turned their cra**y windows 95 boxes
>>into decent computers 10 or 15 years ago wouldn't gotten nearly
>>so much work done.

> Well, that was me -- except it was Windows 3.1 and I'm a mathematician,
> not a scientist.  But I looked around for "a unix" that I could run on a
> PC.  But, way back then, I believe that linux was it.

SCO was available, and ran on PC hardware.

JS