CD writer

Post by Andreas Krom » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Is it possible to use any CD writer for a Sun SPARC workstation
(HP, Sony, Mitsumi), or do I need a special one with a
special sector size?
Some time ago I heard that most CD-ROMs do not work because they
have the wrong sector size.

--

------------------------
ANDREAS KROMKE

CD writer

Post by Joerg Schilli » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Is it possible to use any CD writer for a Sun SPARC workstation
>(HP, Sony, Mitsumi), or do I need a special one with a
>special sector size?

If you want to use free software, you need to use
Philips, HP, Grundig, Yamaha or equivalent.

I currently have no manual for the Mitsumi CD-writer
and I have has no time & no Sony for testing (but a manual from Sony)

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord

wait some days and I install hacked version of mkisofs * read_cdda too.

Quote:>Some time ago I heard that most CD-ROMs do not work because they
>have the wrong sector size.

All CD's have a sectorsize of 2048 bytes!

Some CD-Players reblock this in firmware to 512 Bytes.

This is needed on Sun Hardware because Sun decided some years ago
that it would be too much to be forced to change the boot prom
in ~ 200000 Sparcstation 1 & 1+ systems
Now millions of Sun users have to live with this.

Some years ago there was a decision to add a vendor unique
SCSI command called READSESSIONOFFSET instead of adding ~ 20 lines
to the hsfs filesystem code.
This forces us to use Toshiba or Sony drives to be able to use
multi session CD's (like Kodak Photo CD)

Joerg

P.S. If I get a manual & someone who is willing to test for me
there will be support for the mitsumi CD writer in cdrecord.
--

CD writer

Post by Kevin Higgin » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I currently have no manual for the Mitsumi CD-writer
> and I have has no time & no Sony for testing (but a manual)
> ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord
> wait some days and I install hacked version of mkisofs * read_cdda too.

Joerg, do you know of anyone who's been able to get this to work
under x86? As it comes from the FTP site, it doesn't work for us.
--

...Fatty tissue, convolutions, chemicals, and tiny lightnings...that's
     all my brain has to work with so I cut it a lot of slack....

CD writer

Post by Michael O'Conno » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Adobe Announces Availability of Acrobat 3.0 Software for UNIX, Macintosh
and Windows

San Jose, Calif., (November 18, 1996) (Nasdaq:ADBE) - Adobe Systems
Incorporated today announced the availability of Adobe. Acrobat. 3.0
software for UNIX., Macintosh. and Windows. platforms, providing
customers with one of the fastest and easiest solutions for creating
documents that are ready for distribution on the World Wide Web,
corporate Intranets and CD-ROM. With new features that enhance Acrobat
software's integration and performance on the Web, Acrobat 3.0 can
enable customers to use the Internet to more quickly and
cost-effectively distribute documents while improving access to critical
information.

With Acrobat 3.0, customers can make practically any document ready for
distribution on the Internet through a process as simple and familiar as
printing. Both paper documents and those created with standard desktop
authoring tools, such as word processors, presentation packages and page
layout tools, can be turned into Portable Document Format (PDF) files
with Acrobat 3.0 software and posted immediately onto the Web. As a
result, customers can quickly distribute information through external
Web sites or corporate Intranets without learning new tools or spending
additional time and resources reauthoring documents into other formats.

"We have thousands of pages of corporate information and hundreds of
pages of insurance forms and benefits materials," said Joe Small,
Advanced Technology Group lead at Source W, a Westinghouse division that
provides electronic and multimedia services to the company. "We started
out using HTML to put this information on-line, but were spending hours
reauthoring documents which, in the end, looked nothing like the
original. With Acrobat software, it takes just minutes to output
documents to PDF and then make them available to employees over the
Intranet. Employees can print what they need when they need it. In
addition, the time and cost savings of not having to reauthor documents
is substantial."

New Features Enhance Web Integration and Performance
Adobe Acrobat 3.0 provides features and enhancements that optimize PDF
files for browsing, serving and searching on the Internet. As a result,
customers will be able to quickly access and view PDF files directly
within popular Web browsers, such as Netscape^A Navigator^A client
software and Microsoft. Internet Explorer. Key new features include:
    *   Integration with popular Web browsers through support of
        the Netscape Plug-in API and ActiveX^A controls.
    *   Improved performance on the Web through enhanced
        compression options and page-at-a-time downloading capabilities.
    *   Support for full-text searching of PDF files on the Web
        through integration with third-party searching solutions.
    *   Built-in ability to scan and OCR paper documents into
        Web-ready PDF files.

Pricing and availability
Priced and packaged for the business desktop market, Adobe Acrobat 3.0
software provides everything a customer needs to create Web-ready
documents. Windows 3.1, Windows NT., Windows 95, Macintosh and Power
Macintosh. versions of Acrobat 3.0 software are available now for a
suggested retail price of $295. SunOS^A, Sun^A Solaris., HP-UX, and AIX.
versions of Acrobat 3.0 are expected to be available in December, 1996,
for a suggested retail price of $295.

Versions of Acrobat Reader 3.0 software for Sun Solaris, SunOS, Silicon
Graphics. IRIX., HP-UX, AIX, Linux, Macintosh, Windows, and OS/2. are
available now for free from Adobe's World Wide Web server at
http://www.adobe.com/.

Registered customers that purchased Adobe Acrobat Pro 2.1 for Windows or
Macintosh platforms after June 3, 1996, can upgrade free to Acrobat 3.0.
Other registered customers of Acrobat 1.0, 2.0 or 2.1 for Windows or
Macintosh can upgrade to Acrobat 3.0 for $79 and registered customers of
Acrobat Pro 2.0 or 2.1 for Windows or Macintosh can upgrade for $59.
Customers needing additional information can call 1-800-272-3623.

Based in San Jose, Calif., Adobe Systems Incorporated develops and
supports products to help people express and use information in more
imaginative and meaningful ways, across all print and electronic media.
Founded in 1982, Adobe helped launch the desktop publishing revolution.
Today, the company offers a market-leading line of application software
and type products for creating and distributing visually rich
communication materials; licenses its industry-standard technologies to
major hardware manufacturers, software developers and service providers;
and offers integrated software solutions to businesses of all sizes. For
more information, see Adobe's home page at http://www.adobe.com on the
World Wide Web.

###

Adobe, Acrobat, Acrobat Exchange, and Distiller are trademarks of Adobe
Systems Incorporated. Apple, Macintosh and Power Macintosh are
registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. Microsoft, Windows and
Windows NT are registered trademarks and ActiveX is a trademark of
Microsoft in the U.S. and other countries. IBM, AIX, and OS/2 are
registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation.
Sun and SunOS are trademarks and Solaris is a registered trademark of
Sun Microsystems, Inc. Silicon Graphics and IRIX are registered
trademarks of Silicon Graphics, Inc. UNIX is a registered trademark in
the United States and other countries, licensed exclusively through
X/Open Company, Ltd. Netscape and Netscape Navigator are trademarks of
Netscape Communications Corporation. All other trademarks are property
of their respective owners.

Press/Analyst Contact:
Rick Brown

Adobe Systems Incorporated
408 536.3212

AIX:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_aix_30....
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_aix_30....

HP-UX:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_hpux_30...
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_hpux_30...

SGI IRIX:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_irix_30...
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_irix_30...

Solaris:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_solaris...
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_solaris...

SunOS:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_sunos_3...
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_sunos_3...

In addition, a new Acrobat Reader 3.0 beta for Linux is now available
at:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_linux_b...
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/3.x/acroread_linux_b...

Macintosh:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/mac/3.x/ardr30e.bin
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/mac/3.x/ardr30e.sit.hqx

Windows 95 / Windows NT:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar32e30.exe

Windows 3.1:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/3.x/ar16e30.exe

An updated Acrobat Reader for OS/2 will be available soon; the current
Acrobat Reader 3.0 beta 1 for OS/2 is available at:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/os2/3.x/OS2RD3B1.EXE

CD writer

Post by Charles Stephen » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>>>> "MoC" == Michael O'Connor writes:

 MoC> Adobe Announces Availability of Acrobat 3.0 Software for UNIX,
 MoC> Macintosh and Windows

 MoC> Versions of Acrobat Reader 3.0 software for Sun Solaris, SunOS,
 MoC> Silicon Graphics. IRIX., HP-UX, AIX, Linux, Macintosh, Windows,
 MoC> and OS/2. are available now for free from Adobe's World Wide Web
 MoC> server at http://www.adobe.com/.

Where is the Solaris/x86 version of Acrobat Reader?

cfs
--

Software Engineer                  = "And thus spake the great lawyers:
SunSoft, a SMI Business            =  thou shall not speaketh for Sun or its

CD writer

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sun, 24 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Sorry, you did'nt reply to may email... and described what problems
you have with cdrecord & Solaris x86.

All I know is that cdrecord-1.1 runs on Solaris x86.

cdrecord-1.0 has a bit ordering problem that has been solved in
release 1.1.

Joerg