Solaris x86 for small LAN server?

Post by Mike Fris » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

        I am considering replacing my aged SPARCstation IPC
(running SunOS 4.1.3_U1) with a Pentium based server on my home office
LAN (serving three local machines plus several dial-in users).  I am
curious to know the suitability of Solaris x86?  Will I run into the
user restrictions (allegedly only 1-2 users on the desktop version of
Solaris x86)?

        The machine will also have to run INN (InterNetNews), UUCP,
Sendmail, PPP, CSL/ip, X11R6, etc.  The machine will most likely be a
Pentium 100MHz with 32MB RAM, 2GB disk, no monitor, etc.

        I'd like to hear from anybody running in a similar
configuration.

Thanks.

Mike.

Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA                      Compuserve: 76620,2534

Post by David You » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:         The machine will also have to run INN (InterNetNews), UUCP,
: Sendmail, PPP, CSL/ip, X11R6, etc.  The machine will most likely be a
: Pentium 100MHz with 32MB RAM, 2GB disk, no monitor, etc.

Ouch. News and X11R6 on the same machine is *ic. If you're even
planning on doing this under solx86 think >64MB RAM and Adaptec 2940UW
with the fastest drives you can afford.

---
   .    .   .  . .. david young / ace.net internet technologies //

  .   .  . .. www.ace.net: a playground for the truly digital //

Post by Mike Fris » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Ouch. News and X11R6 on the same machine is *ic. If you're even
>planning on doing this under solx86 think >64MB RAM and Adaptec 2940UW
>with the fastest drives you can afford.

        I am currently doing this on a SPARCstation IPC with SunOS
4.1.3_U1 and 24MB of RAM.  The system does not use wide drives (in
fact, it's a dated 1GB SCSI-2 drive) and performance is great.

        If it takes >64MB RAM and fast-wide SCSI to do this on a PC,
I've overestimated Intel hardware for the past few years.  My lowly SS
can handle the task quite easily with the above configuration.

Mike.

Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.veryComputer.com/~mfrisch

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>Ouch. News and X11R6 on the same machine is *ic. If you're even
>>planning on doing this under solx86 think >64MB RAM and Adaptec 2940UW
>>with the fastest drives you can afford.

>        I am currently doing this on a SPARCstation IPC with SunOS
>4.1.3_U1 and 24MB of RAM.  The system does not use wide drives (in
>fact, it's a dated 1GB SCSI-2 drive) and performance is great.

>        If it takes >64MB RAM and fast-wide SCSI to do this on a PC,
>I've overestimated Intel hardware for the past few years.  My lowly SS
>can handle the task quite easily with the above configuration.

It doesn't.

We have a 32Mb Pentium 120 file-serving some 20 active samba users
and about 10 NFS users, 2 or 3 logged-in users, and other load pretty
much as specified (no PPP, X clients only, router between 3 networks),
and it works fine. Disc space is spread over lots of narrow SCSI discs
(2 and 4 Mb Hawks), on 2 SCSI busses.

It was a Pentium 100 originally and that was OK too (upgrade was a side
effect of switching motherboards to get more PCI slots).

I will probably upgrade to 64Mb, just because it's so cheap at the moment.

A limitation which might effect you is that the supplied asy (COM port)
driver will only drive 4 ports. Multi-port cards would need their own
third-party drivers.