Configure woes

Post by exmixll.. » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 08:07:27

Hello-

Sorry if this question has been done to death, but I am
really stuck here.

On many ordinary open source packages I try to install
I get the following error:

checking for C compiler default output... cat: conftest.c: No such file or directory
Exit 77

From config.log:
configure: exit 0
gcc2: conftest.c: No such file or directory
gcc2: No input files

My permissions are a-ok.

Delving into configure and placing various debuging
echo's and ls's I see that somehow the conftest.c file
is being deleted just before the gcc exectues.  I pushed
further by commenting most rm commands in the configure
script itself and got much much further.

Can anyone explain why I might be seeing this?  It is
obviously not a compiler error, but I'm not really sure
where else I can look?

Thanks,

Eric

--
--------------------

Remove the X's to reply

1. Perl5005.02 Configure woes

RedHat 5.2      Partial install
linux 2.0.36

I have been unable to get Perl 5.005_02 onto my machine. During the
configure stage I am asked

Any additional libraries
[-lnsl -lndbm --lgdbm -ldb --ldl -lm --lc -lposix -lcrypt]

I then get

 ld: Cannot open -lddbm: No such file or directory
I can't compile the test program
(The supplied flags might be incorrect with this C compiler)

You have a BIG problem. Shall  abort Configure[y]

Comments
I have tried Compiler  cc  and gcc , doesn't seem to make any difference

I have said "none" to the additional libraries question, it does its
best, but make fails
there is a huge list of errors of the type

intrpvar.h:xxx parse error before "PL_something"
intrpvar.h:xxx warning: data definition has no type or storage class.

make: xxx [miniperlmain.o] Error 1

I admit to being out of my depth, but

What is lgdbm ?
Where I am I likely to find it?
Any other clues as to how to fix this problem.

Please post reply to this NG, but send me an e-mail copy, as I get about
50% feed

a find lgdbm produced nothing, but so did a find on all the other
libraries.

--
Owen

2. PROBLEM: Bug in __pollwait() can cause select() and poll() to hang in 2.4.22-pre2 -- second try

3. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

4. Linux dials modem but Browsers can't find it?

5. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

6. XF86Config for Compaq Amada 1590DT

7. Netorking Woes : configuring with route

8. Woops, I just blinded my box.

9. Configuring SSI woes...

10. net-2 woes (was upgrade woes)

11. make configure vs. ./configure

12. KDE 2.0 configure error --- can't find :admin/configure ?

13. What's the difference between configure and src/Configure?