Does XSun+XFree86 porting kit allow dual headed operation?

Does XSun+XFree86 porting kit allow dual headed operation?

Post by John F. Ca » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:25:14

XSun on x86 supports only one screen when using the Sun
drivers.  Does the XFree86 porting kit allow dual-headed
operation with the Sun server?  I have an ATI Radeon
video card that can drive two monitors.

(Solaris 9, XFree86 4.4.0 drivers)

--

Does XSun+XFree86 porting kit allow dual headed operation?

Post by Andrew Gabri » Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:24:13

Quote:> XSun on x86 supports only one screen when using the Sun
> drivers.  Does the XFree86 porting kit allow dual-headed
> operation with the Sun server?

I don't believe so.

Sun recently announced an alliance with nVidia, so you might
start to see improved nVidia drivers appearing for Solaris x86:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2004-10/sunflash.20041012.1.html

--
Andrew Gabriel

Post by Fredrik Lundho » Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:29:36

Quote:>XSun on x86 supports only one screen when using the Sun
>drivers.  Does the XFree86 porting kit allow dual-headed
>operation with the Sun server?  I have an ATI Radeon
>video card that can drive two monitors.

try the Xorg server shipped with Jds2 release 2 for Solaris x86.

/regards
Fredrik

--
Fredrik Lundholm

1. Doing dual head with 2 cards...

Hello, I have a bit of a technical problem, and a money problem.  I'm
poor.  :P
   But anyway, I'm going back to school this year, and I thought it would
be very nice to have a two moniter setup for programmming.  So I stuck two
cards in my machine, and got two monitors.  One card is an 'nVidia Corp.
GeForce 256' the other a 'Cirrus Logic GD 5456'.  Or, in other words, One
nice 3D accelerator and an old pice-a-poo PCI SVGA card.  (4 megs maybe?)
Well, windows delt with it fine.  So this setup is happily running under
windows XP. Then, I heard Mandrake would probably be the easiest Linux
dist. to do this under, so I installed Mandrake 8.2.  Mandrake detected
the two cards and said "You can have a 2 head system here, how would you
like to do it?  1. Configure all heads together 2. Use Xinerama extention
3. & 4. Just do one of the two cards."
        Well, I fiddled around a lot with all the options, and I can't get
it to work.  Oddly enough, even when I try to configure only the Cirrus,
all the testing and stuff shows up on the nVidia's moniter.  Strange.  Any
help Guys?  Thanks
--

Jim Leek

2. SUSE Linux 5.0 and PPP server

3. Dual headed support for xfree86??

4. auto.master on freebsd

5. Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

6. 1 but not 2 dialup modems?

7. dual-head xfree86 4.0 crashes: softbooting non-matrox cards

8. test/migration from Apache to Netscape Enterprise 3.51

9. Problems with Dual Headed config and Xfree86 4.0

10. XFree86 4.0 dual head Matrox G400 Max

11. Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

12. Xfree86 4.0 and Matrox G400 Dual head

13. Almost have XFree86-4.0 working dual head and in xinerama, but need some help