Installing Solaris 2.4 from a non-sun CD-ROM

Installing Solaris 2.4 from a non-sun CD-ROM

Post by Adam Goodm » Thu, 23 Mar 1995 06:41:41

Hello all,

I have what I think is a tricky question.

I am in the process of purchasing a bunch of new equipment and I cannot
afford a SunCD-ROM.  So I read the CD-ROM FAQ and saw that Hitatchi
CDR-1750S drives will work with Sun equipment (apparently there is a dip
switch in the back that toggles between 512b/2048Kb allowing it to be used
with Sun hardware).

Then I read the Solaris FAQ and saw a section saying that while Solaris
2.3 could be installed from a non-Sun CD-ROM, due to changes in the "sd"
driver (don't know what it is), Solaris 2.4 cannot be installed from a
non-Sun CD-ROM.

So my question is really this:

Does the Hitatchi CDR-1750 set to 512 byte mode count as a "Sun" CD-ROM?
Or will Solaris 2.4 only install of real Sun badged CD-ROM drives?  If
that is the case, what is it about "true" Sun CD-ROM drives that makes
this possible, where the Hitatchi in "sun mode" fails?  How does the "sd"
driver figure into this?

Any help with this will be much appreciated.  I really hope the Hitatchi
drive will work, because it is MUCH MUCH cheaper that a SunCD will be.  If
it will not work at all, is it possible to get media for Solaris 2.3?
Does anyone have any feelings about that as solution if the Hitatchi will
not work with Solaris 2.4?

Thanks for all your help with this.  Any assistance is much appreciated.

TIA,
-Adam

Post by Kevin Martine » Fri, 24 Mar 1995 05:15:28

>Then I read the Solaris FAQ and saw a section saying that while Solaris
>2.3 could be installed from a non-Sun CD-ROM, due to changes in the "sd"
>driver (don't know what it is), Solaris 2.4 cannot be installed from a
>non-Sun CD-ROM.

Somehow, I installed Solaris 2.4 on my Sparc using a decidely non-Sun
Toshiba 3401 CD-Rom Player. I have done the rework that lets one switch
block sizes with a toggle switch.

The installation went without a single problem, possibly because I was
unaware you can't do this!?

 Kevin Martinez                 |           Fry's Electronics: Where

1. Non-Sun CD-ROM support for Solaris 2.5.1

My Solaris 2.4 workstation was recently upgraded to 2.5.1, and I've found
that the SDCD2K patch is only for 2.4. So it seeems my non-Sun 8X CD-ROM
player is now useless unless someone can point me to newer patch.

Anyone know of one?

Thanks,
Brian

---
Brian Weis                              Office: (408)526-4796
Cisco Systems                           FAX   : (408)526-4952

San Jose, CA 95134-1706

2. wide-dhcp port problem

3. Adding a non-Sun CD-ROM to SPARC 20...

4. compiling apache on linux & idiot's guide to proxy server?

5. External non-Sun CD-ROM drives?

6. Donald Burr I cant find you

7. CD-ROM for Solaris 2.4 x86 / OS/2 installs

8. making computer easyer too use and are unix better then windowes

9. Use of non-sun CD-ROM Drives

10. EIDE CD-ROM install on Solaris 2.4 for X86

11. >>INSTALLING x86 2.4 over a non-SUN network??

12. Non-Sun CDROM drive booting Solaris 2.4

13. Music CD's on Solaris 2.4 CD-ROM Drive