jumpstart profile being ignored

Post by Robin McGe » Fri, 11 May 2001 06:46:15

Hi,

The test machine I'm using has been configured on the install server using
the "add_install_client" command.  The rules file passes "check" and the
profile passes the "pfinstall" routine.  If I add a begin script to the
rules file, it runs as expected, so I think the rules are OK and being
processed like they're supposed to.  The system is even preconfigured during
boot as expected using the sysidcfg file in the jumpstart directory.
However, the information I have in the profile never gets used even though
it says it's using it as the installation begins.

profile contents:
install_type  initial_install
isa_bits  64
geo  N_America
locale  en_US
system_type  standalone
usedisk  c0t0d0
boot_device  c0t0d0s0  update
cluster SUNWCall
filesys c0t0d0s0  1600 /
filesys c0t0d0s3  400 swap
filesys c0t0d0s7 free

I found a discrepancy (I think) in the docs that may or may not be related.
The docs say to put the rules & profiles in the root of the jumpstart
directory.  However, the systems prefers to use a directory buried under the
install server directory instead.
(install/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/install_config)  Regardless
of where I put things, it ignores what I have in the profile and the
installation prompts me for all the options.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

rgm

Post by James Falkne » Fri, 11 May 2001 15:58:14

> Hi,

> The test machine I'm using has been configured on the install server using
> the "add_install_client" command.  The rules file passes "check" and the
> profile passes the "pfinstall" routine.  If I add a begin script to the
> rules file, it runs as expected, so I think the rules are OK and being
> processed like they're supposed to.  The system is even preconfigured during
> boot as expected using the sysidcfg file in the jumpstart directory.
> However, the information I have in the profile never gets used even though
> it says it's using it as the installation begins.

> profile contents:
> install_type  initial_install
> isa_bits  64
> geo  N_America
> locale  en_US
> system_type  standalone
> usedisk  c0t0d0
> boot_device  c0t0d0s0  update
> cluster SUNWCall
> filesys c0t0d0s0  1600 /
> filesys c0t0d0s3  400 swap
> filesys c0t0d0s7 free

> I found a discrepancy (I think) in the docs that may or may not be related.
> The docs say to put the rules & profiles in the root of the jumpstart
> directory.  However, the systems prefers to use a directory buried under the
> install server directory instead.
> (install/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/install_config)  Regardless
> of where I put things, it ignores what I have in the profile and the
> installation prompts me for all the options.

> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

> rgm

The "install_config" directory you refer to is used to *factory jumpstart*
a machine.  Sun ships machines pre-loaded with a bootable image.
When you turn on the machine, it attempts a jumpstart, and looks for
profiles from that directory.  Your problem is different.

What does your rules.ok file say.  And does that match
the machine you're trying to install?

-jhf-

jumpstart profile being ignored

Post by Robin McGe » Fri, 11 May 2001 23:21:01

Quote:> > Hi,

> > The test machine I'm using has been configured on the install server
using
> > the "add_install_client" command.  The rules file passes "check" and the
> > profile passes the "pfinstall" routine.  If I add a begin script to the
> > rules file, it runs as expected, so I think the rules are OK and being
> > processed like they're supposed to.  The system is even preconfigured
during
> > boot as expected using the sysidcfg file in the jumpstart directory.
> > However, the information I have in the profile never gets used even
though
> > it says it's using it as the installation begins.

> > profile contents:
> > install_type  initial_install
> > isa_bits  64
> > geo  N_America
> > locale  en_US
> > system_type  standalone
> > usedisk  c0t0d0
> > boot_device  c0t0d0s0  update
> > cluster SUNWCall
> > filesys c0t0d0s0  1600 /
> > filesys c0t0d0s3  400 swap
> > filesys c0t0d0s7 free

> > I found a discrepancy (I think) in the docs that may or may not be
related.
> > The docs say to put the rules & profiles in the root of the jumpstart
> > directory.  However, the systems prefers to use a directory buried under
the
> > install server directory instead.
> > (install/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/usr/sbin/install.d/install_config)
Regardless
> > of where I put things, it ignores what I have in the profile and the
> > installation prompts me for all the options.

> > Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

> > rgm

> The "install_config" directory you refer to is used to *factory jumpstart*
> a machine.  Sun ships machines pre-loaded with a bootable image.
> When you turn on the machine, it attempts a jumpstart, and looks for
> profiles from that directory.  Your problem is different.

> What does your rules.ok file say.  And does that match
> the machine you're trying to install?

> -jhf-

My rules file is very simple.  I'm just trying to get this thing to work.

rules.ok:
network  129.82.204.0  -  atl_prof   -
network  129.82.105.0  -  cnr_prof  -
#verson=2 checkcum=20680

As the test box boots from the net, it reads my sysidcfg file (from the
jumpstart directory) and then goes into the installation console window
where it reports:

the system is coming up.  Please wait
starting remote procedure call (RPC) services:  sysidns done.
system identification complete.
starting Solaris installation program...
executing jumpstart preinstall phase...
searching for Solstart directory...
checking rules.ok file...
using profile:  atl_prof
executing Solstart preinstall phase...

It then stops with the intro prompt about "the Solaris installation is
divided into a series of short sections...."  It continues with all the
prompts as it would during an interactive installation.

Thanks for your help!

rgm

Post by James Falkne » Sat, 12 May 2001 00:57:15

> [...]

> network  129.82.204.0  -  atl_prof   -
> network  129.82.105.0  -  cnr_prof  -
> #verson=2 checkcum=20680

> As the test box boots from the net, it reads my sysidcfg file (from the
> jumpstart directory) and then goes into the installation console window
> where it reports:

> the system is coming up.  Please wait
> starting remote procedure call (RPC) services:  sysidns done.
> system identification complete.
> starting Solaris installation program...
> executing jumpstart preinstall phase...
> searching for Solstart directory...
> checking rules.ok file...
> using profile:  atl_prof
> executing Solstart preinstall phase...

> It then stops with the intro prompt about "the Solaris installation is
> divided into a series of short sections...."  It continues with all the
> prompts as it would during an interactive installation.

Did you type "boot net - install" (the "install" keyword being the
thing that kicks it into a jumpstart)?  Normally, if you supply the
"install" keyword, and Solaris Install is not able to do a non-interactive
install, it will stop, say "sorry, <blah> is wrong, press enter to begin
interactive install".  If it does this without asking you to press enter,
then you have not used the "install" keyword at the boot prompt,
or you did not select "2" at the x86 boot prompt.

-jhf-

Quote:

Post by Mike Delan » Sat, 12 May 2001 11:01:12

:
[...]

This looks to me like your sysidcfg file is missing some piece of
information that the installation needs.  IIRC, if it can't get all
of the needed information from the sysidcfg it will fall back to
an interactive install, using what information it did get from
sysidcfg as the defaults in the dialogs.

If the sysidcfg file is directing jumpstart to query a naming
service like NIS or DNS for some of the information, you'll also
need to make sure that the information is actually present in the
name service.

--

"...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow
migrating caribou." "Now I have this image in my mind of a fish embracing and

Post by Darren Dunha » Sun, 13 May 2001 03:10:56

> : the system is coming up.  Please wait
> : starting remote procedure call (RPC) services:  sysidns done.
> : system identification complete.
> : starting Solaris installation program...
> : executing jumpstart preinstall phase...
> : searching for Solstart directory...
> : checking rules.ok file...
> : using profile:  atl_prof
> : executing Solstart preinstall phase...
> This looks to me like your sysidcfg file is missing some piece of
> information that the installation needs.  IIRC, if it can't get all
> of the needed information from the sysidcfg it will fall back to
> an interactive install, using what information it did get from
> sysidcfg as the defaults in the dialogs.

Nope.  The sysidcfg phase is complete when the "installation" starts.
Once you see that 'starting Solaris installation program', it's done
with sysidcfg.

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Post by Mike Delan » Sun, 13 May 2001 11:29:27

:
[...]

A syntax error in the sysidcfg or an incorrect sysid_config path in
bootparams will cause it to fail before "system identification complete."
is printed, but I'm pretty sure that whether the information provided
in sysidcfg is sufficent for a non-interactive install isn't checked until
the preinstall phase.

I believe I was mistaken about the installation using what was
preconfigured as defaults for the dialogs, though.  According to the
Advanced Install Guide, it should only prompt for what wasn't
preconfigured in either sysidcfg or NIS, which if this is indeed the
reason for the interactive prompts, should give a good idea of what's
missing.

--

"...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow
migrating caribou." "Now I have this image in my mind of a fish embracing and
extending a caribou." -- Paul Tomblin and Christian Bauernfeind in the SDM

jumpstart profile being ignored

Post by Bruce Garlan » Tue, 15 May 2001 21:50:19

I also believe that there is a patch that corrects the problemn where it
ignores several keywords.

Quote:> On Fri, 11 May 2001 18:10:56 GMT in

Post by gary drummon » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:10:56

> I also believe that there is a patch that corrects the problemn where it
> ignores several keywords.

> > On Fri, 11 May 2001 18:10:56 GMT in

> > :
> > : > : the system is coming up.  Please wait
> > : > : starting remote procedure call (RPC) services:  sysidns done.
> > : > : system identification complete.
> > : > : starting Solaris installation program...
> > : > : executing jumpstart preinstall phase...
> > : > : searching for Solstart directory...
> > : > : checking rules.ok file...
> > : > : using profile:  atl_prof
> > : > : executing Solstart preinstall phase...
> > :
> > : > This looks to me like your sysidcfg file is missing some piece of
> > : > information that the installation needs.  IIRC, if it can't get all
> > : > of the needed information from the sysidcfg it will fall back to
> > : > an interactive install, using what information it did get from
> > : > sysidcfg as the defaults in the dialogs.
> > :
> > : Nope.  The sysidcfg phase is complete when the "installation" starts.
> > : Once you see that 'starting Solaris installation program', it's done
> > : with sysidcfg.

> > A syntax error in the sysidcfg or an incorrect sysid_config path in
> > bootparams will cause it to fail before "system identification complete."
> > is printed, but I'm pretty sure that whether the information provided
> > in sysidcfg is sufficent for a non-interactive install isn't checked until
> > the preinstall phase.

> > I believe I was mistaken about the installation using what was
> > preconfigured as defaults for the dialogs, though.  According to the
> > Advanced Install Guide, it should only prompt for what wasn't
> > preconfigured in either sysidcfg or NIS, which if this is indeed the
> > reason for the interactive prompts, should give a good idea of what's
> > missing.

> > --

> > "...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow
> > migrating caribou." "Now I have this image in my mind of a fish embracing
> and
> > extending a caribou." -- Paul Tomblin and Christian Bauernfeind in the SDM

you didn't specify

partitioning   explicit       (required with slices and sizes)