changing NIS+ root master root password

Post by mo » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 21:07:52

Hi Netlanders,

Does anyone know the procedure to change the root password on
the NIS+ root master?  I've heard that this may be fatal to the
artist if not done correctly (i.e., I don't want to re-install).
BTW, I'm running Solaris 2.4.

Thanks in advance,

Aldo

Post by William C Waggone » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 00:16:42

> Does anyone know the procedure to change the root password on
> the NIS+ root master?  I've heard that this may be fatal to the
> artist if not done correctly (i.e., I don't want to re-install).
> BTW, I'm running Solaris 2.4.

Aldo, I can't speak for Solaris 2.4 but I _know_ it can be painful
under Solaris 2.3!  Tread lightly!  After messing up my NIS+ databases
completely I called Sun who sent me a new procedure.  I think it's
now on the SunSolve disks.  It's fairly long and requires you to reduce
your security level for some short period of time.

If this procedure isn't followed then all of your NIS+ databases become
hopelessly excrypted.  I suggest you offload them to TEXT files before
attempting to change the password.  Luckily I had done that completely
by chance before I attempted to change my root password or I would
have been sunk.

Good luck!

Bill Waggoner
Hughes Danbury Optical Systems