syslogd. Error in /var/adm/messages

Post by nach » Thu, 01 May 2003 18:28:00

I get this message sometimes in /var/adm/messages:

Apr 28 09:45:12 gt-as-db-dev syslogd: /dev/sysmsg: I/O error

There doesn't seem to be any correlation with any other process or amount
of system usage as it happens at random times. Has anyone come across this
before?

This messages appears in a Ultra-10. OS is Solaris 8 10/00.

1. syslogd failed to log message to /var/adm/messages

Hello,

I'm running Solaris 2.5.1, and I'm encountering a problem where syslogd
fails to log message to /var/adm/messages. I looked at /etc/syslog.conf,
which was not modified at all, and the syslog.conf file worked when I
copied to another machine. Checked syslog.conf and it showed the correct
pid. I stop and restart syslogd using "truss -f -a syslogd -d" and ran
logger to test, the trace output didn't show anything.. Looked like
something got stuck.

Is there anyone has an idea what is wrong? Thanks in advance.

Lam

2. Help, please, compiling pidentd?

3. trimming /var/adm/messages & /var/adm/syslog

4. Color icons in X-windows?

5. Clean way to remove /var/adm/messages and /var/adm/syslog

6. Mail program recommendations...

7. How does syslogd maintain /var/adm/messages files?

8. Someone who knows Linux modems PLEASE HELP ME !!

9. syslogd.conf configuration to copy /var/adm/messages to a loghost ?

10. /var/adm/messages & syslogd

11. Can Loghost's syslogd steer multiple remote /var/adm/messages to multiple files?

12. lockd error message in /var/adm/messages

13. SCSI Error Message in /var/adm/messages