Solaris 2.4, Oracle 7.2.2.3, inodes, bus errors, and I/O errors

Solaris 2.4, Oracle 7.2.2.3, inodes, bus errors, and I/O errors

Post by Wayne Yingli » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Using Solaris 2.4 on a 20 with Oracle.  Oracle has been running on this
machine for over a year.  Typically it has been pretty reliable - Until the
new year.

Lately we are receiving messages that file systems are full when they are not.
We receive messages that the /opt filesystem is out of inodes when df -e
indicates that there are over 400,000 free.
And any executable we run from /opt returns a bus error.
If we change directories into /opt we randomly receive "No device or Bad
Address" messages when navigating into subdirectories.

When these messages begin, Oracle returns "EOF on communication channel"
errors when trying to connect remote through SQLNet V2.  Oracle/Solaris
returns "Bus error" messages when trying to connect from the server itself.

After a reboot the messages go away then return 2 to 8 hours later.  It seems
to be Oracle usage related but no pattern has been established.

Any thoughts ?
Is it Oracle ? Solaris ? Hardware ?

Thanks
  Wayne

1. bus errors in multithreaded applications under Solaris 2.4

Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris
Subject: multi-threaded bus error under Solaris 2.4

I've got a big problem.  I've purchased the Workshop 1.1 with SparCompiler C
3.0.1 and am running a SparcLX with Solaris 2.4.  Much to my horror and
surpris I read the READMEs in the Workshop for C only to discover a known bug
that
prevents multiple threads that address unaligned data from running.  Thus,
with 300Klines of a software toxic wastedump to port from an X86 to the
Sparc, I'm kind of hosed.  My question:

The workaround states that the asm("ta 6") statement should be placed in
the thread entry point.  Does this mean that if the thread entry point
invokes 50 functions, each of which address unaligned data structures,
that this assembler directive should be inserted in each function?  Or
does this directive, when compiled in the thread at an arbitrary location,
suffice for the entire thread context?

Any clarification on the use of this work around would be greatly appreciated.
Better yet, has Sun released a patch for this problem?  What's the patch
number?
--rick
--

To those who know what is not known;  The Chronicles of Microwave Jim!

2. fixating problem with CDrecordables (AHA2940UW / Philips CDD3600)

3. Errors: Bus Error and Error 554

4. Sec. Vulnerability in dtspcd (rev. 3)

5. Bus Error on installing Oracle

6. Run AIX on a Mac?

7. grow inodes: inode-max limit reached error.

8. SNMP Sub-Agent

9. nfsroot, Bus error, comm. error, 3c503+9

10. Bus error/memory parity error

11. HELP bus error(alignment error)

12. bus error, alloc error, segmentation fault

13. Netscape 3.01 Java Bus Error Error Fixed!