1. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.
Well, this is puzzling--
I've been scratching my head over this for months, reading docs, looking
for non-existent IRQ conflicts because I *thought* I had a problem with
my PCMCIA and/or PPP setup. Just realized that the problem is specific
to *one server*--which happens to be the one I access the most.
* the problem server is in my local domain. It's the one where I have a
shell account (which I often use--or try to use--to ftp stuff back and
forth between home & office), and it's also the primary DNS and the mail
server for the domain.
* the server is an AIX machine which seems up to its job (it's only gone
down once in my 2 years here). When I access it from my office via an
ethernet connection, everything works fine. I can download a multi-meg
file in seconds.
* when I access the net through my PPP connection from home (using a
28.8k PCMCIA modem, dynamic IP addressing), I get reasonable speeds for
http & ftp servers outside the local domain . . . well, slow, but
consistent with what I get in the office.
* when I access this one local server, FTP is mind-numbingly slow (<100
bytes/second!) and I often can't complete a large transfer. Similarly,
if I try to get my mail, it's very slow and tends to stall if there are
a lot of messages.
Any ideas what's causing this? Thanks for any info.
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido, Japan
2. HELP: telnet, ftp hang after connecting via SLIP
3. Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5
4. Dual Athlon XP 1800+ on Tyan Thunder K7 or Tiger MP anyone?
5. NFS really slow (too slow!)
6. isdn, teledat 150 and ipppd won't work
7. Knoppix is *really* *really* cool!
9. Network really really DOWN !!!
10. Really, really newbie
11. HELP --- really, really strange network problem!!
12. @Home RCA Cable Modem, RH 7.1, and a really really _weird_ problem
13. really, really simple question