C programming and Solaris 2.6

Post by Davi » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I want to do some C programming on my IPC with Solaris 2.6. I was thinking
of using gcc. Do I need any other software eg. MAKE or does this come in the
gcc pkg. I will also occasionally wish to compile source code  received from
other people, for applications to run on my system.

Any recommended or required software?

Thank you,

David,

Copy of reply by email appreciated.

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I want to do some C programming on my IPC with Solaris 2.6. I was thinking
>of using gcc. Do I need any other software eg. MAKE or does this come in the
>gcc pkg.

neither. It comes in /usr/ccs/bin.
read the comp.unix.solaris FAQ.

Quote:>Any recommended or required software?

you 'llprobably want to get GNU make anyways, then.

--
[trim the no-bots from my address to reply to me by email!]
"initiating.. 'getting the hell out of here' maneouver" - Lennier, babylon5

1. C++ program compiled on Solaris 8 doesn't run on Solaris 2.6

Writing in forward-compatibility would require being able to see the future.
The fact that it works at all with Solaris 8 compiled ANYTHING in Solaris 2.6
is pure dumb luck.

Also, the Sun Blade 1000 running Solaris 8 is a 64-bit system. You may be
automatically creating 64-bit binaries with Forte. These won't run on a 2.6 no
matter how long you hold your breath.

2. Help Needed: SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 Installation.

3. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?

4. Stereo Ethernet problem...

5. Upgrade from Solaris 2.6 with Volume Manager 2.6 to Solaris 8 with Volume Manager 3.2

6. PegaSoft SMiaB Chat Room Meeting

7. Help programming Solaris 2.6 driver (SPARC)

8. Error opening large file in Solaris 2.6 with C program

9. Programs SIGSEGV in Gdb under Solaris 2.6

10. using crypt(3C) in a C++ program on Solaris 2.6

11. User-level program crumps the Solaris 2.6 kernel?

12. How to debug g++ compiled programs on X86 Solaris 2.6?