Ineffective password deletion!

Post by Paul Tot » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Dear all

I have Solaris 2.5.1.
I am trying to delete a password for a skip account.
Problem is, despite much fiddling with fields in the shadow file, each
time I test the login, I am prompted for a new password!!!

As a brief history of what I've tried so far, assuming a login name of
skip, I first tried the obvious passwd -d skip, and then tried such
things as making various fields in the shadow file null, 0, or even -1,
as per the shadow(4) doco.

After each and every test, it still insisted on a new password.

I'm getting around it by creating a null password for it, but still, it
should be possible.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Pault