How do you set color depth with Creator3D?

How do you set color depth with Creator3D?

Post by Shao W » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:29:40

Hi,

How do you set color depth with Creator3D graphics card?

Thanks,
Shao

Post by Joshua Goul » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:44:56

> How do you set color depth with Creator3D graphics card?

man ffbconfig

Post by Shao W » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 04:07:03

> > How do you set color depth with Creator3D graphics card?

> man ffbconfig

so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
I read the man page and it confused me.

Shao

Post by Mike Mill » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 05:04:07

>> > How do you set color depth with Creator3D graphics card?

>> man ffbconfig

>so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
>I read the man page and it confused me.

>Shao

Find the file where the X server is started and add 'defdepth 24
defclass Truecolor' to the end of the line.
Check in the /usr/openwin tree if you have a standard Sun config.

Mike Miller
"If all else fails - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS"

Post by Shao W » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:29:44

> >> man ffbconfig

> >so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
> >I read the man page and it confused me.

> >Shao

> Find the file where the X server is started and add 'defdepth 24
> defclass Truecolor' to the end of the line.
> Check in the /usr/openwin tree if you have a standard Sun config.

> Mike Miller
> "If all else fails - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS"

Thanks.

Shao.

Post by Torsten Kirschne » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 03:19:13

> > > How do you set color depth with Creator3D graphics card?
> > man ffbconfig
> so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
> I read the man page and it confused me.

And correctly so, since one doesn't set the color depth of the Creator3D visual with ffbconfig.

Take at look at the Framebuffer FAQ at www.sunhelp.org .

You have to copy some files from /usr/dt/config to /etc/dt/config and then modify
/etc/dt/config/Xservers.

$ tail -3 /etc/dt/config/Xservers

Look at the commented line, where the options to my one (and only) C3D are set. The second,
active line does something more for a dual-head configuration. The m64config command,
btw, does have a depth option. Also, there now is the unified fbconfig command, but I don't
think it will help with this issue.

    T.

Post by Anton Ran » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 01:42:31

> > > How do you set color depth with Creator3D graphics card?

> > man ffbconfig

> so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
> I read the man page and it confused me.

Is your goal to have the system come up in 24-bit mode by default?
Are you using CDE / dtlogin?

If so, in 4 easy steps ....

  1. Become root.
  2. Create the directory /etc/dt/config.
  3. Copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers.
  4. Edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers so that the last line looks something like

You can skip step 3 and edit the Xservers file in place if you prefer.

When you log out of the windowing system and log back in, you should
be in 24-bit mode.

This is actually documented somewhere, though I forget where I found
it (unfortunately about an hour after I had finally worked this out by
brute force).

-- Anton

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 08:14:55

>If so, in 4 easy steps ....

>  1. Become root.
>  2. Create the directory /etc/dt/config.
>  3. Copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers.
>  4. Edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers so that the last line looks something like

>You can skip step 3 and edit the Xservers file in place if you prefer.

But if you do, patches and upgrades may wipe out your changes.

Quote:>This is actually documented somewhere, though I forget where I found

It's documented in "man dtlogin".

  - Logan
--
"I'll tell you something.  Luxury disgusts me."  Giorgio Armani, Jan 17, 2002
( http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020117/re/life_fashion_armani_dc_1.... )

Post by Jeff Wielan » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:00:25

>> > man ffbconfig

>> so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
>> I read the man page and it confused me.

>Is your goal to have the system come up in 24-bit mode by default?
>Are you using CDE / dtlogin?

>If so, in 4 easy steps ....

>  1. Become root.
>  2. Create the directory /etc/dt/config.
>  3. Copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers.
>  4. Edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers so that the last line looks something like

What this does is to set the default visual to be 24 bit.  The Creator
framebuffers always have both 8 and 24 bit visuals available.  You can't
turn off either one.  Changing the default visual will cause programs
that don't explicitly select a visual to get the new default.

Quote:>You can skip step 3 and edit the Xservers file in place if you prefer.

You really don't want to do this...

--
Jeff Wieland

Post by Super-Use » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 01:21:01

> >> so what is the quuick and dirty was of setting it to 24-bit true color?
> >> I read the man page and it confused me.

> >Is your goal to have the system come up in 24-bit mode by default?
> >Are you using CDE / dtlogin?

> >If so, in 4 easy steps ....

> >  1. Become root.
> >  2. Create the directory /etc/dt/config.
> >  3. Copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers.
> >  4. Edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers so that the last line looks something like

> What this does is to set the default visual to be 24 bit.  The Creator
> framebuffers always have both 8 and 24 bit visuals available.  You can't
> turn off either one.  Changing the default visual will cause programs
> that don't explicitly select a visual to get the new default.

> >You can skip step 3 and edit the Xservers file in place if you prefer.

> You really don't want to do this...

> --
> Jeff Wieland

Thanks to all for the good information.