Monochrome display in Solaris 7

Post by Hans Werner Strub » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Solaris 7 does not support the monochrome framebuffer bwtwo any more,
according to the Solaris on Hardware answerbook. This seems to contradict
the statement that, e.g., ELC machines are supported, which always come
with a bwtwo framebuffer only. If there is really no bwtwo, is there a
workaround? We still have a lot of older machines (sun4c) with this
framebuffer, most of them diskless clients.
Is it possible to integrate /platform/sun4c/kernel/drv/bwtwo and
/usr/openwin/server/modules/ddxSUNWbw2.so.1 from Solaris 2.6
into Solaris 7? Or will we need partitions containing Solaris 2.6 on the
OS server for the clients?

--

 Drittes Physikalisches Institut,  Univ. Goettingen
 Buergerstr. 42-44,   D-37073 Goettingen,   Germany

Monochrome display in Solaris 7

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Solaris 7 does not support the monochrome framebuffer bwtwo any more,
>according to the Solaris on Hardware answerbook. This seems to contradict
>the statement that, e.g., ELC machines are supported, which always come
>with a bwtwo framebuffer only. If there is really no bwtwo, is there a
>workaround? We still have a lot of older machines (sun4c) with this
>framebuffer, most of them diskless clients.
>Is it possible to integrate /platform/sun4c/kernel/drv/bwtwo and
>/usr/openwin/server/modules/ddxSUNWbw2.so.1 from Solaris 2.6
>into Solaris 7? Or will we need partitions containing Solaris 2.6 on the
>OS server for the clients?

The files you mention are still shiped with Solaris 7.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Paul Egge » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Solaris 7 does not support the monochrome framebuffer bwtwo any more,...
>>We still have a lot of older machines (sun4c) with this
>>framebuffer, most of them diskless clients.
>>Is it possible to integrate /platform/sun4c/kernel/drv/bwtwo and
>>/usr/openwin/server/modules/ddxSUNWbw2.so.1 from Solaris 2.6
>>into Solaris 7?
>The files you mention are still shiped with Solaris 7.

Hmmm, are you saying that bwtwo still works in Solaris 7,
but it's not ``supported''?

There are still a reasonable number of bwtwo hosts out there;
I'm displaying on a bwtwo as I type this message.

1. monochrome display and lynx

Hi
I am currently using an old laptop (Qompaq contura aero) with monochrome
display. The problem is that many applications such as LUNX MUTT and SLRN
thing the display is color. So, is very difficult to read the text.
What solutions are there about this ?
I use Debian 2.0
Thank you in advance
Panos

2. ftp to self not working

3. monochrome display in 2.5.1/2.6 x86

4. sysctl

5. need info on Samsung monochrome display

6. Where is David Korn?

7. Solaris: Olwm useless icons on monochrome

8. Reboot won't work now

9. Monochrome X server on Sun Solaris???

10. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

11. Code fragments/plug-ins for solaris?

12. how to display sun solaris 8 display on a RedHat7.1 xwindow?

13. Solaris/Motif program dumps core when displaying non-Solaris X-servers