peer to peer file sharing

Post by michael lasha » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:14:08

Anyone know of a p2p client for solaris, Iuse
  a windowze tool called dc++, which is a neo modus
direct connect client.
Was hoping to find a similar tool for solaris.

ta.

peer to peer file sharing

Post by michael lasha » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:38:05

Quote:

> On Unix, it's called NFS.  Install an NFS client on your system.

:)

I know NFS.  However, this is more a peer 2 peer file sharing tool similar
to napster - and works over dial up or dsl.

peer to peer file sharing

Post by Paul Floy » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:11:35

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 22:38:05 +1300, michael lasham

Quote:

>> On Unix, it's called NFS.  Install an NFS client on your system.

>:)

> I know NFS.  However, this is more a peer 2 peer file sharing tool similar
> to napster - and works over dial up or dsl.

Err, NFS works over dial-up or dsl.

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but the Sunsite at IC London used
to allow its anonymous FTP site to be NFS mounted.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Netgear: the worst technical support I've ever encountered.

peer to peer file sharing

Post by G. Lo » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:46:22

Hi! perhaps you should try:

http://www.limewire.com/

A java-based p2p, based on the gnutella network...haven't tried it 'cuz
I had an older java vm, but if it live up to the "write once, run
any/everywhere" then it should also
run on Solaris...!
Also, long time ago, I was able to also compile "gtk-gnutella"

http://gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net/

but haven't tried lately, so I dunno if it still compiles easily or not...

Cheers!

Georgie

> Anyone know of a p2p client for solaris, Iuse
>  a windowze tool called dc++, which is a neo modus
> direct connect client.
> Was hoping to find a similar tool for solaris.

> ta.

peer to peer file sharing

try limewire or phex

--
Alexander N. Spitzer

1. Peer-to-peer file sharing protocols

(By the way, I have posted to coln many times before. This isn't "please
do my homework for me")

I have the pleasure of working with a professor at the university who is
very interested in peer to peer networks and file sharing as a natural
evolution of the Internet.

It's clear that wide area peer to peer networks can pool network and
storage resources in an incredible way. Corporate short-sightedness
aside, anonymous networks that allow people to share their resources form
an interesting, massive content distribution network the likes of which
we have never seen before. And to me anyway, it seems natural that the
Internet be used in such a way.

I began to research the topic (beyond what I already know about
Gnutella/Gnutella2) and seemed to have found that there really are no
important public, documented protocols other than Gnutella and Freenet.
Is this correct? Are these the only two major network types?

Can we go much further? My impression is that gnutella (or gnutella2)
doesn't really properly address massive scaling or security, two major
issues. Can this field be revolutionized with some better protocol? Does
one already exist?

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.pc-tools.net/

2. image and message passing using sockets

3. IProute2/tc and limiting Windows Peer-to-Peer file sharing apps

4. sendmail

5. Setup HP peer-to-peer printers

6. Floating Point Exception with PS

7. Installing RH Linux 5.2/Sparc on Sparcstation2 via my Windows95/98 peer-peer network

8. I've been good! Help me choose a system.

9. Peer to peer w/ NE2000 Ethernet...

10. 2 Computer Peer-to-Peer networking troubles

11. Peer-to-Peer Problems

12. What cable for peer-to-peer ?

13. peer to peer