Setting Up Network Install Server

Post by Gary Barnet » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 10:34:10

I am having a problem setting up a network install server.
I am running 2.3 with major patches; Sparc 10 is the server.

I have copied the cdrom files to disk (setup_install_server script)
and ran the setup_install_client script. The client will get its ip
address and hostname, download the boot file, but then it hangs.
It eventually times out with a RPC error: no bootparam server responding.

Snoop (great program, buy the way) shows that the server just won't
talk back.

If anyone has seen this problem and knows of a fix, please share the wealth.

Thanks,
Gary B

Post by Casper H.S. D » Thu, 03 Mar 1994 19:14:43

>I am having a problem setting up a network install server.
>I am running 2.3 with major patches; Sparc 10 is the server.
>I have copied the cdrom files to disk (setup_install_server script)
>and ran the setup_install_client script. The client will get its ip
>address and hostname, download the boot file, but then it hangs.
>It eventually times out with a RPC error: no bootparam server responding.
>Snoop (great program, buy the way) shows that the server just won't
>talk back.

You do have a bootparams server running?
Is the entry in the bootparams file correct? The name
you use should be the name returned by a reverse mapping
of the hosts address to its name.

A common mistake is to use the unqualified name when
gethostbyaddr returns de FQDN or vice versa.

Casper

Setting Up Network Install Server

Post by Robert Re » Fri, 04 Mar 1994 03:54:07

Quote:>I am having a problem setting up a network install server.
>I am running 2.3 with major patches; Sparc 10 is the server.
>I have copied the cdrom files to disk (setup_install_server script)
>and ran the setup_install_client script. The client will get its ip
>address and hostname, download the boot file, but then it hangs.
>It eventually times out with a RPC error: no bootparam server responding.
>Snoop (great program, buy the way) shows that the server just won't
>talk back.
>If anyone has seen this problem and knows of a fix, please share the wealth.

Yes, we had: kill bootparamd on the server and restart it.
--
        Robert Regn                             University of Ulm, Germany