checking DNS performance usage levels?

checking DNS performance usage levels?

Post by DiGiTAL VINY » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:36:22



Can anyone recommend a DNS/log analyzer/monitor tools that can tell us
how many DNS request /sec/minute/whatever we are performing, chache
hits, etc.

We have a need to ensure that we can handle hundreds, even as much as
1-2 thousand requests per second.  Never had that requiremnts before
we'd like to moniotor performance levels.

 
 
 

checking DNS performance usage levels?

Post by Logan Sh » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:00:07




Quote:>Can anyone recommend a DNS/log analyzer/monitor tools that can tell us
>how many DNS request /sec/minute/whatever we are performing, chache
>hits, etc.

Well, you could always do "snoop -r -t r port 53" on your nameserver,
write the output to a file, and then analyze it with a simple Perl
script.

Quote:>We have a need to ensure that we can handle hundreds, even as much as
>1-2 thousand requests per second.  Never had that requiremnts before
>we'd like to moniotor performance levels.

Wow, that's a lot.  On the other hand, bind was designed to be
efficient, and those requests are small, so may it's not a problem.

  - Logan
--
my  your   his  her   our   their   _its_
I'm you're he's she's we're they're _it's_

 
 
 

checking DNS performance usage levels?

Post by Dust » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:38:43




Quote:>Can anyone recommend a DNS/log analyzer/monitor tools that can tell us
>how many DNS request /sec/minute/whatever we are performing, chache
>hits, etc.

>We have a need to ensure that we can handle hundreds, even as much as
>1-2 thousand requests per second.  Never had that requiremnts before
>we'd like to moniotor performance levels.

I think that netperf3 from
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/benchmarks/netperf/experimental/
has dns benchmarking capabilities, and you can use ndc to track bind usage.  
I had some trouble compiling netperf3 on solaris7/8 but I haven't had much
time to troubleshoot it.  If you get it working please let me know.

Dustin

 
 
 

checking DNS performance usage levels?

Post by Chris Thomps » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:14:16




Quote:>Can anyone recommend a DNS/log analyzer/monitor tools that can tell us
>how many DNS request /sec/minute/whatever we are performing, chache
>hits, etc.

>We have a need to ensure that we can handle hundreds, even as much as
>1-2 thousand requests per second.  Never had that requiremnts before
>we'd like to moniotor performance levels.

If you are using BIND, it collects lots of statistics about its operation,
which you can cause to be dumped to a file with "ndc stats". The
documentation that comes with BIND doesn't describe them in any great
detail, but the canonical book (Albitz & Liu, "DNS and BIND", O'Reilly)
should help.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

 
 
 

checking DNS performance usage levels?

Post by Rick Jone » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:32:48



> I think that netperf3 from:
> ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/benchmarks/netperf/experimental/
> has dns benchmarking capabilities, and you can use ndc to track bind
> usage.  I had some trouble compiling netperf3 on solaris7/8 but I
> haven't had much time to troubleshoot it.  If you get it working
> please let me know.

Netperf3 does need some porting help. I _think_ I might have left a
DNS_RR test in netperf2, but not documented it. One would have to run
several concurrent netperf2's to take a full measurement.

As for serving thousands of DNS requests per second, there are indeed
systems that can do that quite easily. There are write-ups of the
netperf3 DNS_RR measurements at:

ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/briefs/

most of them are for HP 9000's, but there is at least one result there
for a non-HP system that happened to wander into my net :)

rick jones
--
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...
my email address is raj in the cup.hp.com domain...