gcc compiling problem: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

gcc compiling problem: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

Post by robe » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:36:47

hello all I'm trying to install php on Solaris 8, but when it tries to
compile using gcc 2.95.3 i get the following message

checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

my config.log file looks like this:

I have read similar posts just like this one here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&threadm=9pr...

as well as this information:
From the Solaris 2 FAQ:

  http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.2.html

6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?

Solaris ships with everything you need, with the exception of the
compiler itself. Solaris ships with the include files, make, an
assembler, linker and libraries. All this stuff lives in /usr/ccs/bin
(add it to your PATH before /usr/ucb if that's in your PATH as well)
/usr/ccs/lib and /usr/include.

If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following packages
installed on your system:

        for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
            SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
        for libraries & headers:
            SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
            SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
            SUNWxglh
        for 64 bit development:
            SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
            SUNWtoox, SUNWlmsx, SUNWlmx, SUNWlibCx
        for ucb compat:
            SUNWsra, SUNWsrh
-----------------------
i installed every package i did not have with the exception of SUNWtoo
but yet it seems the same errors appear.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Would installing gcc 3.1 solve this problem?

gcc compiling problem: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

Post by Matt Whit » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:04:23

Quote:> hello all I'm trying to install php on Solaris 8, but when it tries to
> compile using gcc 2.95.3 i get the following message

> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.

> my config.log file looks like this:

> I have read similar posts just like this one here:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&threadm=
9prae
> a%24cuc%241%40news.cz.js.cn&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D/bin/ld:%
2Bcannot
> %2Bopen%2Bvalues-Xa.o:%2BNo%2Bsuch%2Bfile%2Bor%2Bdirectory%26hl%3Den%
26
> lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF8%26oe%3DUTF8%26selm%3D9praea%2524cuc%25241%
2540news.cz
> .js.cn%26rnum%3D5

> as well as this information:
> From the Solaris 2 FAQ:

>   http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.2.html

> 6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?

> Solaris ships with everything you need, with the exception of the
> compiler itself. Solaris ships with the include files, make, an
> assembler, linker and libraries. All this stuff lives in /usr/ccs/bin
> (add it to your PATH before /usr/ucb if that's in your PATH as well)
> /usr/ccs/lib and /usr/include.

> If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following packages
> installed on your system:

>         for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
>             SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
>         for libraries & headers:
>             SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
>             SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
>             SUNWxglh
>         for 64 bit development:
>             SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
>             SUNWtoox, SUNWlmsx, SUNWlmx, SUNWlibCx
>         for ucb compat:
>             SUNWsra, SUNWsrh
> -----------------------
> i installed every package i did not have with the exception of SUNWtoo
> but yet it seems the same errors appear.  Anyone have any suggestions?
> Would installing gcc 3.1 solve this problem?

Check your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Put /usr/local/lib in the front.

Post by Joe Durusa » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 02:48:26

> > hello all I'm trying to install php on Solaris 8, but when it tries to
> > compile using gcc 2.95.3 i get the following message

> > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> > cannot create executables.

> > my config.log file looks like this:

> > I have read similar posts just like this one here:
> > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&threadm=
> 9prae
> > a%24cuc%241%40news.cz.js.cn&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D/bin/ld:%
> 2Bcannot
> > %2Bopen%2Bvalues-Xa.o:%2BNo%2Bsuch%2Bfile%2Bor%2Bdirectory%26hl%3Den%
> 26
> > lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF8%26oe%3DUTF8%26selm%3D9praea%2524cuc%25241%
> 2540news.cz
> > .js.cn%26rnum%3D5

> > as well as this information:
> > From the Solaris 2 FAQ:

> >   http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.2.html

> > 6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?

> > Solaris ships with everything you need, with the exception of the
> > compiler itself. Solaris ships with the include files, make, an
> > assembler, linker and libraries. All this stuff lives in /usr/ccs/bin
> > (add it to your PATH before /usr/ucb if that's in your PATH as well)
> > /usr/ccs/lib and /usr/include.

> > If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following packages
> > installed on your system:

> >         for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
> >             SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
> >         for libraries & headers:
> >             SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
> >             SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
> >             SUNWxglh
> >         for 64 bit development:
> >             SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
> >             SUNWtoox, SUNWlmsx, SUNWlmx, SUNWlibCx
> >         for ucb compat:
> >             SUNWsra, SUNWsrh
> > -----------------------
> > i installed every package i did not have with the exception of SUNWtoo
> > but yet it seems the same errors appear.  Anyone have any suggestions?
> > Would installing gcc 3.1 solve this problem?

> Check your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Put /usr/local/lib in the front.

To the O.P:

No, installing 3.1 will not help.  If you do not have SUNWtool
installed,
you need binutils and you need gcc configured to use gnu binutils.  Most
of the downloadable pkgs I've seen required SUNWtool.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by robe » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:18:55

> > > hello all I'm trying to install php on Solaris 8, but when it tries to
> > > compile using gcc 2.95.3 i get the following message

> > > checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> > > configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> > > cannot create executables.

> > > my config.log file looks like this:

> > > I have read similar posts just like this one here:
> > > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&threadm=
>  9prae
> > > a%24cuc%241%40news.cz.js.cn&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D/bin/ld:%
>  2Bcannot
> > > %2Bopen%2Bvalues-Xa.o:%2BNo%2Bsuch%2Bfile%2Bor%2Bdirectory%26hl%3Den%
>  26
> > > lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF8%26oe%3DUTF8%26selm%3D9praea%2524cuc%25241%
>  2540news.cz
> > > .js.cn%26rnum%3D5

> > > as well as this information:
> > > From the Solaris 2 FAQ:

> > >   http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/Q6.2.html

> > > 6.2) Which packages do I need to install to support a C compiler?

> > > Solaris ships with everything you need, with the exception of the
> > > compiler itself. Solaris ships with the include files, make, an
> > > assembler, linker and libraries. All this stuff lives in /usr/ccs/bin
> > > (add it to your PATH before /usr/ucb if that's in your PATH as well)
> > > /usr/ccs/lib and /usr/include.

> > > If you still can't find it, make sure you have the following packages
> > > installed on your system:

> > >         for tools (sccs, lex, yacc, make, nm, truss, ld, as):
> > >             SUNWbtool, SUNWsprot, SUNWtoo
> > >         for libraries & headers:
> > >             SUNWhea, SUNWarc, SUNWlibm, SUNWlibms
> > >             SUNWdfbh, SUNWcg6h, SUNWxwinc, SUNWolinc,
> > >             SUNWxglh
> > >         for 64 bit development:
> > >             SUNWarcx, SUNWbtoox, SUNWdplx, SUNWscpux, SUNWsprox,
> > >             SUNWtoox, SUNWlmsx, SUNWlmx, SUNWlibCx
> > >         for ucb compat:
> > >             SUNWsra, SUNWsrh
> > > -----------------------
> > > i installed every package i did not have with the exception of SUNWtoo
> > > but yet it seems the same errors appear.  Anyone have any suggestions?
> > > Would installing gcc 3.1 solve this problem?

> > Check your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Put /usr/local/lib in the front.

> To the O.P:

> No, installing 3.1 will not help.  If you do not have SUNWtool
> installed,
> you need binutils and you need gcc configured to use gnu binutils.  Most
> of the downloadable pkgs I've seen required SUNWtool.

> Speaking only for myself,

> Joe Durusau

thanks for the replies. i made a mistake earlier...I do have the
SUNWtool package.  i also have the binutils package installed. And
here is my path
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
I seem to be getting the same error.
Here is a little background info that might be a cause to the problem:
Because I was having trouble accessing my cd from the external drive,
I used my windows machine to copy the packages and then upload them to
the sun box.  After I uploaded them I copied them to the /var/sadm/pkg
directory and rebooted.  I notice that when I do a pkginfo some of the
packages in this dir are not listed.  Did i do this the correct way?
If not...how do I install these packages properly....if so does anyone
have any suggestions of what the problem is? thanks!

gcc compiling problem: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

Post by robe » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:51:43

Quote:> thanks for the replies. i made a mistake earlier...I do have the
> SUNWtool package.  i also have the binutils package installed. And
> here is my path
> PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ccs/bin
> I seem to be getting the same error.
> Here is a little background info that might be a cause to the problem:
> Because I was having trouble accessing my cd from the external drive,
> I used my windows machine to copy the packages and then upload them to
> the sun box.  After I uploaded them I copied them to the /var/sadm/pkg
> directory and rebooted.  I notice that when I do a pkginfo some of the
> packages in this dir are not listed.  Did i do this the correct way?
> If not...how do I install these packages properly....if so does anyone
> have any suggestions of what the problem is? thanks!

ok i will answer my own question for those of you who might encounter
the same problem.  copying the packages to the /usr/sadm/pkg dir did
not install them even though they were listed when running the command
pkginfo ... i had to run a pkgadd -d .  in that directory to install
the new packages.  (i tried this previously when runnign the command
pkgadd -d *  and got an error so i figured pkgadd was not the command)
 thanks for the replies all! take care

1. compiling error with ssh: configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

well still havent been able to figure out what is going on.  Basically
I am installin ssh on SunOS 2.6 with gcc-2.95.1-sol26-sparc-local
installed.  I had a problem when i would run ./configure it would stop
giving me errors so I took a look at config.log and it mentions that
It cannot find "as".
Now I know the "as" command lies in /usr/ccs/bin.  When I go to other
boxes using same version I see that there is as command in this path.
I resolved this issue by a tip someone gave me by reinstalling the
pkgs for tools, libraries and headers, 64bit dev and ucb that came on
the sol 2.6cd.  After doing so, I tried to run ./configure again and i
got this error:
bash-2.02# ./configure
checking distribution consistency... done
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.6
checking cached information... ok
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking using purify... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

SO I looked at the config.log again and it says:
bash-2.02# more config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:641: checking distribution consistency
configure:703: checking host system type
configure:724: checking target system type
configure:742: checking build system type
configure:765: checking cached information
configure:793: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:846: checking whether build environment is sane
configure:903: checking whether make sets ${MAKE}
configure:949: checking for working aclocal
configure:962: checking for working autoconf
configure:975: checking for working automake
configure:988: checking for working autoheader
configure:1001: checking for working makeinfo
configure:1055: checking using purify
configure:1084: checking for gcc
configure:1255: checking for gcc
configure:1368: checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g ) works
configure:1384: gcc -o conftest -g   conftest.c  1>&5
collect2: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed], core dumped
ld.so.1: /usr/ccs/bin/ld: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/lib/libld.so.2: symbol elf32_checksum: referenced symbol not
found
configure: failed program was:

#line 1379 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

I am ineed of help and not sure where to go from here, my guess is
that the links for libraries are broken.  If someone can help i would
greatly appreciate it, thanks

Rad

2. new install question

3. configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

4. BIOS update induces weird X colors. Wha?

5. configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables

6. IDE Mirrored driver

7. configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables

8. How to use .tar?

9. GCC on Solaris7: "C compiler cannot create executables"

10. gcc 3.0.1 on Solaris8 cannot create executables problem?

11. error : C compiler cannot create executables

12. error: C compiler cannot create executables

13. :: error: C compiler cannot create executables ..!