Making my own Search Engine

Post by Shawn Laemmri » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm looking for some kind of web search engine software so that I
can create my own simple search engine and search database.  I'm
especially looking for something that runs under apache and
possibly utilizes MySQL.

What I'd prob be doing is entering 10-15 sites that I want to have
the search engine be able to search -- kind of like indexing the
pages.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks

Shawn

Making my own Search Engine

Post by CHOW Yi » Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I am running a site with couple hundreds pages. As I don't have the
technical competence to put a server side search engine, I go for
external service instead. I tried http://www.veryComputer.com/ and
http://www.veryComputer.com/. The latter conquers me by better features and
interfaces. My site is at http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:

--
CHOW Yik, * Manager
- asdf.NET -

Making my own Search Engine

Post by gramon.. » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Have you done a search for harvest, the code use to be available.  I
think it's written in perl

> I'm looking for some kind of web search engine software so that I
> can create my own simple search engine and search database.  I'm
> especially looking for something that runs under apache and
> possibly utilizes MySQL.

> What I'd prob be doing is entering 10-15 sites that I want to have
> the search engine be able to search -- kind of like indexing the
> pages.

> Has anyone seen anything like this?

> Thanks

> Shawn

Making my own Search Engine

Post by Marti » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm working on something a lot more complex but I got started thanks to the
following site:

http://www.searchtools.com/

It's got a lot of information on it but the area that helped me most was the
Perl Agent sections (see URL)
http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-perl.html
There's a script on there for spidering external sites, but you'll have to
get to grips with Libwww and a host of other things so expect this to take a
while.

Oh and the new O'Reilly book on mySQL is an absolute must if you want to
learn how to use the DBI interface and mySQL.

Anyway, good luck and lots of patience..

Regards,

Martin
= = = = = = = =
Native Tongues - Multilingual Web Design and Localisation
http://www.nativetongues.com/

> Have you done a search for harvest, the code use to be available.  I
> think it's written in perl

> > I'm looking for some kind of web search engine software so that I
> > can create my own simple search engine and search database.  I'm
> > especially looking for something that runs under apache and
> > possibly utilizes MySQL.

> > What I'd prob be doing is entering 10-15 sites that I want to have
> > the search engine be able to search -- kind of like indexing the
> > pages.

> > Has anyone seen anything like this?

> > Thanks

> > Shawn

Making my own Search Engine

Post by Kenneth C Stah » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Have you done a search for harvest, the code use to be available.  I
> think it's written in perl

> > I'm looking for some kind of web search engine software so that I
> > can create my own simple search engine and search database.  I'm
> > especially looking for something that runs under apache and
> > possibly utilizes MySQL.

> > What I'd prob be doing is entering 10-15 sites that I want to have
> > the search engine be able to search -- kind of like indexing the
> > pages.

> > Has anyone seen anything like this?

> > Thanks

> > Shawn

Why doesn't someone write a search tool that accepts Natural language?
That would be very useful for sophisticated searches and would be
radically different from all other existing search engines. Of course it
would be necessary to learn Natural language to use it, but then again
it would really be mostly useful to sophisticated users who know exactly
how to describe the data they are looking for.

Ken

Making my own Search Engine

Post by Richard Kell » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I'm looking for some kind of web search engine software so that I
> can create my own simple search engine and search database.  I'm
> especially looking for something that runs under apache and
> possibly utilizes MySQL.

We use ht://Dig and are very happy with it.  I don't know whether or not
it runs under apache, though.

See http://www.htdig.org/ for more info.

Rick
--

[PGP fingerprint  =  64 D4 E4 45 A1 24 CE 5D    AE 7F 0B DC DB 51 C4 1B]

Making my own Search Engine

Post by Phil Wi » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:41:23 -0700, Richard Kelly

:->>
:->> I'm looking for some kind of web search engine software so that I
:->> can create my own simple search engine and search database.  I'm
:->> especially looking for something that runs under apache and
:->> possibly utilizes MySQL.
:->
:->We use ht://Dig and are very happy with it.  I don't know whether or not
:->it runs under apache, though.
:->
:->See http://www.htdig.org/ for more info.
:->
:->Rick
:->--

:->[PGP fingerprint  =  64 D4 E4 45 A1 24 CE 5D    AE 7F 0B DC DB 51 C4 1B]
How about telling altavista to spider the sites you are
interested in, then specify the domain in the altavista
query ( +host:whatever.com - I think )?
Spam this address and wave goodbye to
     your internet connection :