Solaris Tape Backup Drives

Post by Eric M. Bo » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have a Sparc Ultra I, and I'm looking for a tape backup drive for it.  I have
about 2 gigs of data that I'd like to back up, but that may grow over time.

Can I use any SCSI tape back up drive?  Or should I stick with Sun's brand of
tape drives.  I'd stay with Sun, but they're more expensive than other brands.
Does anyone have anything they can recommend?

Also, I assume that if I don't stay with Sun, my documentation on how to access
my drive will be fairly weak.  Can anyone point me to some documentation?

Thanks in advance,
Eric Boyd

----------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
Eric Boyd (TSMA)                  |       "It's easier to ask for
InterDimensions Corp.             |        forgiveness than for permission."

http://reality.interdim.com/~boyd |       "When in doubt, use brute force."

Solaris Tape Backup Drives

Post by Eton Leun » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I have a Sparc Ultra I, and I'm looking for a tape backup drive for
> it.  I have
> about 2 gigs of data that I'd like to back up, but that may grow over
> time.

> Can I use any SCSI tape back up drive?  Or should I stick with Sun's
> brand of
> tape drives.  I'd stay with Sun, but they're more expensive than other
> brands.
> Does anyone have anything they can recommend?

> Also, I assume that if I don't stay with Sun, my documentation on how
> to access
> my drive will be fairly weak.  Can anyone point me to some
> documentation?

> Thanks in advance,
> Eric Boyd

> ---------
> ------------------------+--------------------------------------------
> Eric Boyd (TSMA)                  |       "It's easier to ask for
> InterDimensions Corp.             |        forgiveness than for
> permission."

> http://reality.interdim.com/~boyd |       "When in doubt, use brute
> force."

Try the following tape drives, they are supported by Solaris 2.5.1:

ARCHIVE Python 28454
ARCHIVE Python 29279
ARCHIVE VIPER 150
EXABYTE EXB-8200