4000 / 4500 configuration issues

4000 / 4500 configuration issues

Post by Zcor » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 06:49:02



I am currently in charge of 16 Sun 4000 and 4500 servers. While
documenting the hardware configurations I see that over time the
hardware components have been swapped to keep critical systems running
and to shift processing power and memory to overloaded systems. While
looking through the dated system manuals I see many configuration
rules, most of which have been ignored on these systems. What are the
current configuration rules for these systems:

1) Can different speed CPUs be mixed? This seems to work with the
slowest speed CPU setting the speed for all the rest.
     Are there combinations of CPU speed that should be avoided? What
affect does different size cache have?

2) Is there an issue of mixing 84 MHz and 100 MHz system boards in the
same system? I assume that the slowest system board would set the
speed of the system clock.
     What is the difference that would be seen between a system clock
of 84 MHz and 100 MHz? Or would a difference only be noticed on
systems that are fully loaded?
     I have several 4500s with clocks boards capable of 84, 90 or 100
MHz and all system boards capable of 100 MHz. The output of prtdiag
shows a system clock speed of 84 MHz.  Does the clock board need to be
set to specific clock speed?

From a practical point of view does it make sense to sort these 4000 &
4500 systems so that the 4500s only contain 100 MHz capable
components?

Thanks for any information.

 
 
 

4000 / 4500 configuration issues

Post by Cris » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:39:39



> I am currently in charge of 16 Sun 4000 and 4500 servers. While
> documenting the hardware configurations I see that over time the
> hardware components have been swapped to keep critical systems running
> and to shift processing power and memory to overloaded systems. While
> looking through the dated system manuals I see many configuration
> rules, most of which have been ignored on these systems. What are the
> current configuration rules for these systems:

> 1) Can different speed CPUs be mixed?

depends on the module some you can, some not

This seems to work with the

Quote:> slowest speed CPU setting the speed for all the rest.
>      Are there combinations of CPU speed that should be avoided? What
> affect does different size cache have?

see above

Quote:

> 2) Is there an issue of mixing 84 MHz and 100 MHz system boards in the
> same system? I assume that the slowest system board would set the
> speed of the system clock.

no problem and yes the slowest sets the speed

Quote:>      What is the difference that would be seen between a system clock
> of 84 MHz and 100 MHz? Or would a difference only be noticed on
> systems that are fully loaded?

pass

Quote:>      I have several 4500s with clocks boards capable of 84, 90 or 100
> MHz and all system boards capable of 100 MHz. The output of prtdiag
> shows a system clock speed of 84 MHz.  Does the clock board need to be
> set to specific clock speed?

no speed settings on the board

Quote:

> From a practical point of view does it make sense to sort these 4000 &
> 4500 systems so that the 4500s only contain 100 MHz capable
> components?

Probably as the 4500 has a 83/100Mhz backplane and the 4000 a 83Mhz
Quote:

> Thanks for any information.


 
 
 

1. 4500 issue with veritas/clarrion issue

Hello all,

I've got an Enterprise 4500(solaris 2.6) with 500GB of mirrored Clarrion
drives thats having a few issues. Yesterday we noticed by running
"netstat" that there were 9435 connections to the machine in a
"CLOSE_WAIT" state. We were not able to stop any applications on the box
(ie: Oracle) so I just issued the "reboot" commad. When the machine
boots backup, it goes through POST with takes about 10 minutes, then it
tries to check all of the filesystems and just hangs. According to
sunsolv, it will take up to 40 minutes per 100GB of disk space to run
the check. The problem is that the check never finishes. Has anybody
else had experience with the same setup and experinced the same sort of
issues? If so, what was your fix? Thanks in advance.
--
Brian
http://www.eviscerated.net

----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----

GMC/E$ d--- s:>: a-- C++++ UBLIS++++$ P++ L++ E--- W++(-) N+ o+ K- w---
O- M- V-PS+ PE+
Y+ PGP++ t- 5--(--) X++ R tv+ b+ DI++ D+ G e*(++) h**** r+++ y++++ z**

----END GEEK CODE BLOCK----

2. DHCP and Host/Domain Name - how to change?

3. Problems with Quantum DLT 4000 + HP C5173-4000

4. Routing vs Routered Protocols

5. Linux for Apollo 4500

6. IBM PC Server 704 with Linux?

7. IBM Netfinity 4500 (PCnet/FAST III AMD 79C975)

8. Interrupting locked Netscape

9. Sun Enterprise 4500 vs. IBM AS/400

10. RH7.2 on Dell Dimension 4500 : Power Down ?

11. 2.4.19-ac4 compilation error on Dell Dimension 4500 with RedHat 7.3

12. RedHat 5.2 install fails on Compaq Proliant 4500 - Survey.TXT [01/01]

13. Replacing UltraSpar CPUin 4500