CDE command line login doesn't work

Post by Kyle Tuck » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        On my Sparc 10 running Solaris 2.6, any attempt to use
command line login from the CDE/dtlogin screen just clears the
screen to all white, never shows the normal text or login prompts,
will echo back any keys typed and will eventually time out and
just come back to CDE/dtlogin. I have applied patch 105703-07 as
bug 4148983 "Cannot start command line login" looked like the
problem, but still no-go. CDE is VERSION: 1.2,REV=10.97.07.08.
Thoughts? Thanks.

--
- Kyle

CDE command line login doesn't work

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>    On my Sparc 10 running Solaris 2.6, any attempt to use
>command line login from the CDE/dtlogin screen just clears the
>screen to all white, never shows the normal text or login prompts,
>will echo back any keys typed and will eventually time out and
>just come back to CDE/dtlogin. I have applied patch 105703-07 as
>bug 4148983 "Cannot start command line login" looked like the
>problem, but still no-go. CDE is VERSION: 1.2,REV=10.97.07.08.
>Thoughts? Thanks.

Check for processes keeping /dev/console open.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. CDE's command-line login appears remotely (?!??)

   If you post a followup, PLEASE don't email a copy to me.  I read news
    often enough that replying to things twice is annoying.  But thanks!

I would've added comp.unix.cde to the groups header, except this ISP won't
allow multiple groups.  Oh well.

We're running Solaris 7 and its associated CDE.

Since we're forced to use lots of MICROS~1 products here on base, I do most
of my work sitting at a pee-cee.  I have xterms displayed here so I don't
have to keep moving back and forth, and that frees up the console for the
users (who do some occasional high-res graphics stuff that blows goats if
displayed over a network onto NT).

One of the xterms is run as root, with a -C so I can watch for nasty console
errors (filesystem full, processor on fire, etc).

The problem is that if I (or anybody else) tries to drop dtlogin into its
"command line login," then the rows of ####, the "press Enter for a prompt,"
and the login prompt itself are all sent to the remote xterm on my pee-cee
desktop!  The actual console just goes blank white and ignores all keypresses.

If we wait the thirty seconds, it times out and resets back to the dtlogin
screen, and then everything goes back to normal.

Is CDE just choosing the "newest" console to use?  Is there a stacking order
that I need to invert?  It works as normal when I don't have the xterm -C
running (e.g., NT bites it and reboots).

Much thanks,
Phil

--

Targeting & Attack Radar              PGP ID              UFOs are real.
U.S. Air Force Research Labs        0xDBABC04F            The Air Force

2. RH 6.0 Kernel Panic during load of HOW-TOs

3. login doesn't work on my serial lines

4. The First Arabic Site about Linux

5. command line doesn't work

6. Seagate 120GB HD Prob

7. Command Line Doesn't Work in Shell

8. Solaris 10 X86, lg3d and Xorg

9. '..' in cdpath doesn't work in CDE 1.0 environment

10. expect script doesn't understand '$1' from command line?

11. 'last' command doesn't show complete login times

12. 'su --login user -c command' doesn't run loggin scripts

13. CDE Command Line login times-out