Processes sometimes disappearing from Solaris 2.6+ process table?!

Processes sometimes disappearing from Solaris 2.6+ process table?!

Post by Bjorn Herman » Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:41:19

Hi,

I'm currently working on an application which makes heavy use of the
O.S.'s process table. This application works just fine under (SuSE)
Linux, but doesn't work flawlessly under Solaris 2.6 and later.

The problems I am experiencing are that processes seem to disappear for
a short period of time (a number of seconds) from the process table,
after which they re-appear again auto-magically...
At first I thought it was a bug in my script, but tests showed me that
this wasn't the case. What I did was to start an 'endlessly' running
program in one window. Then I looked at the process table in a second
window, and there I noticed that every now and then the running process
would just disappear from the process table for a short period of time
(even though the program was clearly running in the other window).

Is there anybody on this news group to which this 'phenomenon' sound
familiar? And is there anybody who knows a solution to this problem??

With kind regards,
Bjorn Hermans.

Processes sometimes disappearing from Solaris 2.6+ process table?!

Post by Chris Thomps » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:19:26

Quote:

>I'm currently working on an application which makes heavy use of the
>O.S.'s process table. This application works just fine under (SuSE)
>Linux, but doesn't work flawlessly under Solaris 2.6 and later.

>The problems I am experiencing are that processes seem to disappear for
>a short period of time (a number of seconds) from the process table,
>after which they re-appear again auto-magically...
>At first I thought it was a bug in my script, but tests showed me that
>this wasn't the case. What I did was to start an 'endlessly' running
>program in one window. Then I looked at the process table in a second
>window, and there I noticed that every now and then the running process
>would just disappear from the process table for a short period of time
>(even though the program was clearly running in the other window).

>Is there anybody on this news group to which this 'phenomenon' sound
>familiar? And is there anybody who knows a solution to this problem??

How exactly are you looking at "the process table"?

ps? top? /proc contents?

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Processes sometimes disappearing from Solaris 2.6+ process table?!

Post by Bjorn Herman » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:12:56

[...]

Quote:> How exactly are you looking at "the process table"?

> ps? top? /proc contents?

Both via "ps -axw" and "top -d 1". I combine the output of these two
commands to get a process table which is equal to the output of "ps
auxw" I would get under Linux.
I used "ps -axw" when I was performing my command-line test with two
windows.

Quote:> Chris Thompson

Bjorn.

1. where are process-table, region-table, inode-table?

Hi,
        Can anyone tell me where I can change the text table (the max # of
executable that a system can run at any time) , region table , inode tables
and file table? I want to tune my kernel a bit, since it's running slow
w/ my 486 8M.. somehow the kernel is taking more than 10% of my total memory
(624k for kernel code, 384k reserved, 376k data).... leaving me enough to
barely run a X... I read a book called "System Tuning" (base on System V)
which mentioned something about changing the text table , region table,
inode tables anf file table to tune the system. Anyone know where I should
change these defaults? Anyone think that the kernel configuration script
should allow us to estimate the # of users our system will be serving..and
then calculate(estimate) the size of these tables? Does these tables
exist in Linux?

Please enlighten me..

TIA

Dan

2. Using /dev/cua1 for outgoing calls, while running /sbin/mgetty ttyS1

3. Problem keeping process in the process table.

4. multiple providers

5. How to hide a process in the process table

6. How to detect control, alt or meta key pressed

7. forked child process remains in process table

8. Linux, RIVA128, X, Setup - HowTo

9. How to Kill Process and Its sub-process and its sub-process??

10. reading process stack in Solaris 2.6

11. looking for IO per process on solaris 2.6

12. Setting Max Memory available for a process in Solaris 2.6

13. Solaris 2.6 set Maximum processes per user