Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

Is there a version of gzip that handles files larger than 2GB?

Post by Jon Ts » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:12:15

Hi

Is there a version of gzip (Solaris) that can handle files bigger than 2GB ?
We are using version 1.3. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Jon Tsu

Post by Joerg Schilli » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 21:07:36

>Hi

>Is there a version of gzip (Solaris) that can handle files bigger than 2GB ?
>We are using version 1.3. Any ideas?

Did you try to use gzip in a pipe?

< file gzip > out

should also work. Gzip does not really need to be changed to be large file aware.
Just let the shell open the files.

--

1. Writing files larger than 2GB from AIX to Solaris

We have a Solaris 2.6 NFS server, and some AIX 4.2 clients. The problem
is that we cannot write files to NFS-mounted filesystems larger than
2GB. Here is an excerpt from an email I got on the subject by one of
our programmers:

   I ran several tests yesterday trying to write a file over 2 GB from
   an SP2 system running AIX 4.2 to an NFS mounted disk on a Solaris
   2.6 server.  (I used a stand alone utility to do this to make life
   simpler.) The tests failed.  I opened the file using the following
   code segment

      ofd = open(fid_out, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_LARGEFILE, 0777);

   and I used llseek() to set the file offset and write() to write as
   follows:

      llseek(ofd, soff, SEEK_SET);
      write(ofd, buf, bsz);

   I am not sure what to tell you.  I have used the same program to
   write files over 2GB from an AIX client to an AIX server using NFS;
   I have done the same from solaris client to solaris server using NFS
   (except that I did NOT use the O_LARGEFILE flag).  This is a
   question for the folks at IBM (I will pass this along to them as
   well).  I just spoke to one of our IBM representives and he
   suggested the possibility that AIX goes into a conservative mode of
   operation (i.e., using only the lowest common denominator so as to
   be safe) when it tries to talk to a non-AIX NFS server.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem (and possible
solution or workaround) might be?

Thanks in advance. Email cc's appreciated.

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin

2. filesystem not clean

3. Files larger than 2Gb

4. newbie installing Debian: how can I tell what hard device I'm installing to?

5. help! taring files larger than 2GB!

6. Netscape 4.7 Usenet reader

7. Files larger than 2GB (Was Re: ftell/fseek vs. fsetpos/fgetpos)

8. Bus Speed Question

9. large files (larger than 2GB)?

10. Problems taring up files larger than 2GB on Solaris 8

11. file larger than 2GB

12. gzip can not compress > 2GB file?

13. Maximum file size gzip can handle?