Problem of Solaris 2.4 printing with Line Printer Daemon

Problem of Solaris 2.4 printing with Line Printer Daemon

Post by Edward Ta » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

My company is running Sun Solaris 2.4 on Sun Sparcserver 1000E and Sun
Sparcstation 5.  These machines are sharing the same set of printers
connected to the Novell Netware 3.12 network.  The mechanism is by means of
setting up a LPD (Line Printer Daemon software from FTP) server.  But, when
we check the lp status with lpstat, both Solaris response with "faulted
printing".  The printer may still print but very unstable.  It may turn to
"faulted" at any time.

The LPD server is running PC/TCP version 2.05 and LPD version 1.1.  We have
tested with PC/TCP version 2.3 and LPD version 2.3 but with the same
result.

Any idea of what is the problem and any valuable suggestion?

Many thanks and best regards,
Edward Tam

1. line printer daemon (lpd) dies/loses connection on large print

hi,

There is a problem with redhat 5.0 on x86. I send a file to a remote
printer, At first the print job seems to be being send to the remote
server, then it loses connection, and using lpc>status I find that there
is no daemon present.

lpc> status
print236:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        7 entries in spool area
        sending to xxxx.xxxx.com

Now, I wait few minutes, look in the /var/log/messages, see messages
as this:

Feb 26 00:20:44 localhost lpd[286]: print236: lost connection
Feb 26 00:24:19 localhost lpd[1006]: print236: lost connection
Feb 26 00:36:08 localhost PAM_pwdb[1996]: (su) session opened for user root by
nasser(uid=0)
Feb 26 00:38:12 localhost lpd[1999]: print236: lost connection

Look at lpc again:

lpc> status
print236:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        7 entries in spool area
        no daemon present
lpc>

I do lpc>restart print236
I see the sending to .... message come up again, and few minutes later
the same story repeat.

Any ideas where I can look more for more info? is the /var/log/messages
the only place where errors go to on Linux?

it is very annoying when one can not print large files from Linux, this
forces me to have to reboot my machine and boot into NT to be able to
print this one file.

thanks,
Nasser

2. Kernel hang on PCI bus probe.

3. How do I print from Solaris 2.4 to a printer attached to Windows 95

4. ..a normal user fails logins for 5 times....

5. Printing Question. double sided printing on Solaris 2.4

6. sendmail virtual users

7. Parallel printer problem on Solaris 2.4 x86

8. Announce: kdb v2.3 is available for kernel 2.5.42

9. Solaris 2.4 parallel printer problem

10. Printer problems with Solaris 2.4 and 2.5.1

11. HP-4M Solaris 2.4 Printing Problems

12. Printing Problem - Solaris 2.4

13. Printing problems between Solaris 2.4 and Windows NT