posix vs. solaris aio

Post by Joe Seig » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:21:16

Which is more efficient?  solaris aio does completion notification
via a blocking aiowait and posix does it via a signal.  I would
think that signal delivery overhead is less than a thread context
switch to dispatch the aiowait thread.  Or is there something
lame going on like a sigqueue() from a library rather than
from the kernel for posix aio?

Joe Seigh

1. Q. POSIX aio on Solaris 2.3 broken ?

The last section of the manual page in 2.4 is very
clear about this:

BUGS
     In Solaris 2.4, these functions always return  - 1  and  set
     errno  to  ENOSYS, because this release does not support the
     Asynchronous Input and Output option.  It is  our  intention
     to provide support for these interfaces in future releases.

Casper

2. inorrect filesystem

3. aio and Posix.4 in Solaris 2.6

4. Windows 2000 & Linux

5. kaio vs aio in solaris

6. PIII No Id (message concerning Intel's new processor IDs sent accross net)

7. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

8. Linux Is on the Move - Up!

9. How can a device driver support Posix.1b AIO interface?

10. How can a device driver suport Posix.1b AIO interface?

11. Posix AIO working?

12. Linux and Posix AIO