rlogin from Solaris to HP-UX problem

Post by tmor.. » Fri, 03 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have a strange problem when I rlogin from a Solaris (SunOS 5.5.1)
to an HP-UX (HP-UX 10.2) machine that I hope someone can help me with.
For some reason, I lose the $USER env var and the $user shell var
on the HP-UX machine.  When I rlogin from an HP to an HP, or a
Solaris to a Solaris, or even an HP to a Solaris machine, I don't
have this problem.

One of the things that's confusing me is that I can't figure out
where the USER or user variable gets set initially.  It isn't
listed as one the variables that gets initialized when the csh
starts but I also don't set it anywhere in the startup scripts
(like /etc/csh.login or /etc/.login, ~/.cshrc,etc).

It seems to me that it must be the rlogin from Solaris that
isn't getting the env variable to the HP-UX machine but I can't
find any information on it in the man page for rlogin, remsh, or
even telnet.  Am I missing something simple or is this a bug?
Any help or pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

Tim Morse

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.