SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Harr » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Want the best OS for the Intel platform?  Screw Windows,*Linux,
> Get Solaris instead!  The most stable, robost, powerful OS on the
> planet!  End of discussion!

It sure ain't doing much for the spelling of their advocates.

Melaughs, typing away at my stable, *robust*, powerful and FREE Linux OS.

Harry

Remove 'SPAM.' from e-mail if you want to write me.

"A well-reasoned post couched in badly-composed English is like a dog
that speaks Latin:  rare and utterly useless."  --  Dennis Nedblake

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Want the best OS for the Intel platform?  Screw Windows,*Linux,
> Get Solaris instead!  The most stable, robost, powerful OS on the
> planet!  End of discussion!

wow... it's not often that you can spot a troll that easily just by reading
the subject...

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9.1 Linux 2.0.32   i586   | at public servers
Woody:  What's your pleasure, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:   Boxer shorts and loose shoes.  But I'll settle for a beer.
                -- Cheers, The Bar Stoolie

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Charles R. Lyttl » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Just out of curiosity, how much does Solaris or other unixes cost for a
> version and bells and whistles appropriate for a single pc, no lan just
> internet, c++ compiler included ??

> --
> Robert Price
> e-mail: bobprice at enteract dot com
> "When I die, God has a _lot_ of explaining to do."

 Don't know about Solaris, but Linux as you described is FREE if you down
load it. I saw Redhat 4.2 at a Boarders bookstore, with a book, for $25.
That had everything, including lan. Just don't install the parts you don't
want. Download Netscape, Mosaic, or one several other browsers for free
The programming environment is based on GNU tools and GCC. Not as flashy
as something put out by MS, but it produces good optimized executables.
FreeBSD is also free. I have seen other good Unix workalikes for $50 up.
Something like QNX can get very expensive.

Because this is a Java group, I have to mention that Linux support for
Java is very good. Sun didn't port Java, but they have a link to a good
third party port. Also I got JDK 1.1 from an O'Reilly book and a Java
assembler. Nice. I now develop Java on a Linux machine, upload it to a Sun
and it runs, Download it to a Win95 machine and it runs there too if I
remembered to watch for the 8.3 name convention. and change  the *.cla to
*.class and *.jav to *.java after the download. I'm talking real code, not
applets.

--

Russ Lyttle

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Steve H » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Want the best OS for the Intel platform?  Screw Windows,*Linux,
> Get Solaris instead!  The most stable, robost, powerful OS on the
> planet!  End of discussion!

If you're going to troll, at least *try* to get the fake header
to look right.

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by webstu » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > Want the best OS for the Intel platform?  Screw Windows,*Linux,
> > Get Solaris instead!  The most stable, robost, powerful OS on the
> > planet!  End of discussion!

> It sure ain't doing much for the spelling of their advocates.

> Melaughs, typing away at my stable, *robust*, powerful and FREE Linux OS.

> Harry

yeah, sure you lying dude:

your header says:

-
webstud

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Mattias Nilss » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>--------------210654CE1B5FBBC1A895F4B0

>> Want the best OS for the Intel platform?  Screw Windows,*Linux,
>> Get Solaris instead!  The most stable, robost, powerful OS on the
>> planet!  End of discussion!

>   Solaris _is_ good.There is no point to discuss about it, but  is
>Solaris the best ?
>   There isn't a system what is secure 100%
>    Besides.Solaris isnt for free..... And that is a bug .
>     So, until it isnt free i dont*Linux .

My experience from Solaris comes mostly from sun sparcs, but the little I know
from the x86 side indicates that Solaris is more demanding when it comes to
resources. Also, speed is a nice thing. We recently installed Linux on one of
the sparcs at work (replaced Solaris) and the increase in speed was clearly
noticeable. So, until that changes, I'm going to keep using Linux.

/Mattias

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Chuck Ada » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Because this is a Java group, I have to mention that Linux support for
>Java is very good. Sun didn't port Java, but they have a link to a good
>third party port. Also I got JDK 1.1 from an O'Reilly book and a Java
>assembler. Nice. I now develop Java on a Linux machine, upload it to a Sun
>and it runs, Download it to a Win95 machine and it runs there too if I
>remembered to watch for the 8.3 name convention. and change  the *.cla to
>*.class and *.jav to *.java after the download. I'm talking real code, not
>applets.

Huh?  Win95 doesn't need to use 8.3 filenames (does still use those idiotic
backslashes).  you have LFN turned off?

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Steve Col » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> resources. Also, speed is a nice thing. We recently installed Linux on one of
> the sparcs at work (replaced Solaris) and the increase in speed was clearly
> noticeable. So, until that changes, I'm going to keep using Linux.

On the older machines, there is a difference.  If you don't need some of
the features of Solaris (or conversely you need some features of Linux)
and you have only a single processor machine, Linux might be a reasonable
choice.

Cheers,
Steve      |President & Systems Administrator,  Kingston Online Services
           |(e pluribus unix)    Multiple-T1    URL: http://www.kos.net/
           |Business and Education partners in SouthEastern Ontario

           |"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
           |backbone, bounced from satellite, it's nothing but net."
           |(forgive me if I'm terse, I answer hundreds of e-mails a day)

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Charles R. Lyttl » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> > >Because this is a Java group, I have to mention that Linux support
> > for
> > >Java is very good. Sun didn't port Java, but they have a link to a
> > good
> > >third party port. Also I got JDK 1.1 from an O'Reilly book and a Java

> > >assembler. Nice. I now develop Java on a Linux machine, upload it to
> > a Sun
> > >and it runs, Download it to a Win95 machine and it runs there too if
> > >remembered to watch for the 8.3 name convention. and change  the
> > *.cla to
> > >*.class and *.jav to *.java after the download. I'm talking real
> > code, not
> > >applets.

> > Huh?  Win95 doesn't need to use 8.3 filenames (does still use those
> > idiotic
> > backslashes).  you have LFN turned off?

> My guess is that they were loaded onto the Win95 box via floppy disk.

 Matthew, you are partialy ( mostly?) correct. There are more computers not
connected to the internet than connected. Sneakernet is the only way to
reach them. Linux and OS/2 floppies support long file names, but not MS
floppies. There are also two networks that I have to deal with that claim
to be 100% MS. Everytime I upload something to them the names get
truncated. Once they are there, a system administrator has to go and change
all the file names back.

The second problem is the continual confusion of upper/lower case letters
in names. The VAX systems get confused there also. Linux recognizes case
differences so when transfering from MS to Linux  I have to be sure to
convert case back to its proper form. I try to keep all lower-case file
names, but sometimes they arrive as uppercase.

--

Russ Lyttle

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by ben bau » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Want the best OS for the Intel platform?  Screw Windows,*Linux,
>> Get Solaris instead!  The most stable, robost, powerful OS on the
>> planet!  End of discussion!

Quote:>    There's a problem with what you said....
>    Nobody's been known to*an OS...
>    END OF DISCUSSION...unless you're
>    Talentedly promiscuous.

to which I add:

   hmmm ... well,
  'webster OS'   gives (among others)

     2) os \'o^-s\ n,  pl ora \'o^-r-e, 'o[0xC7]r-e\
        [L or-, os -- more at ORAL]
        (1737)
        :MOUTH, ORIFICE

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by Tony Walto » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Klingon (from Star Trek - yes it IS a langauge) makes an Important
> distiction between case. The Klingon language has it's own totally
> different alphabet but in the "romanised" (english) version of the
> Alphabet, there is a big difference in case.

Which sums up, IMHO, the essential silliness of this entire thread.

Tony

SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

Post by ben bau » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> >Especially when you have filename-completion (just hit tab), a very
>> flexible
>> >wildcard system (in unix, '*' works like it *should*, plus you can
>specify
>> >[a-z], [0-9] etc) and you can cut-and-paste, even on a dumb-text
>terminal,using 'screen'.

>> Just like I can in NT, and I *still* think case-sensitive filing systems
>> just add needless confusion for the user.  My personal opinion is so it's
>> bored *nix gurus can feel superior explaining to some poor newbie why LS
>  is any different to ls.

>Unix is and always has been an agressively case sensitive operating system.
> Extending case sensitivity to the file system is just being consistent,
>something which MS operating system aren't (thank god).

  (  does edlin run under NT ;-}  )

Having caps as an option in filenames adds at least one level of
VISUAL coding to point out critical, or common files. e.g.,

% tar -tvzf xsnow.tgz
drwxrwxrwx rick/user         0 1995-11-22 16:00 xsnow-1.40/
-rw------- rick/user       144 1995-11-19 11:53 xsnow-1.40/Imakefile
-rw------- rick/user     10299 1995-11-22 15:58 xsnow-1.40/Makefile
-rw------- rick/user      4261 1995-11-22 16:02 xsnow-1.40/README
-rw------- rick/user      2199 1995-11-19 11:53 xsnow-1.40/make.com
-rw------- rick/user      1414 1995-11-19 11:53 xsnow-1.40/make2.com
-rw------- rick/user        21 1995-11-19 11:53 xsnow-1.40/patchlevel.h

READMEs              always in CAPS
Makefiles            always in Mixed
programs/headers/src always in lower

coding files by case is productive, and can save time

1. Case sensitive file names was Re: SOLARIS RULES, LINUX SUCKS!!!!

I.e., the "In" at the beginning of your sentence is different from the
"in" in this sentence?  (The "in" that comes before the last "this" in
the sentence in question.)

Sometimes, English is case-sensitive (e.g., "polish" as in "furniture
polish" is different from "Polish" as in "Polish economic policy",
although there are other words with the same spelling that can't be
distinguished by case, so it's not clear that this *really* counts as an
example of case-sensitivity - you can probably distinguish by context as
well); other times, it isn't.

E.g., Farsi? :-)  (Methinks you meant "Roman alphabet".)

Case-insensitive file names antedate MS-DOS, just as case-sensitive file
names antedate UNIX (unless my somewhat-faded memories of Multics have
faded into illegibility).

I've yet to be convinced that there's a strong case either way; most of
the arguments appear to boil down to "I like
case-{sensitive,insensitive} file names better than
case-{insensitive,sensitive} file names", or maybe "I find XXX more
convenient than YYY".
--
Reply, or follow up, but don't do both, please.

2. XFree86 3.9.17 and a Diamond Fire GL1 card

3. linux device drivers and C++

4. Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter - Linux Rules,Rocks

5. FreeBSD boot from floppy?

6. Why FreeBSD rules and linux sucks..

7. unresoved symbols when after compiling tulip driver.

8. Corel Linux Sucks! BeOS Rules!

9. 0.24%? Linux rules and rocks while Windows sucks

10. X-windows sucks..sucks...sucks!!!!

11. Why Linux sucks and will always suck.

12. Try RULE, was: Is it just me or RH 7.3 really sucks?