Compatible Solaris NIC's

Post by ntx » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Greetings all.
I have Intel PII 32 mb RAM with 4.2 gb  hard-disk. Dual boot solaris 7 and
NT workstation.
I have a question.I have a 3Com 3C509B  III which get's detected by the
Installation Assistant of  solaris 7.But when i do the installation, it says
no interfaces configured.
when i'm in the system and try a  #ifconfig le0  a.b.c.d  up
It says le0  device  not detected.Hmmm.
Is there something that i'm doing wrong here.Admin docs just says read the
ifconfig manual page. Done that .
I also have Realtek 80129 and novell ne20000 and Accton i tried all the  NIC
i have
 this 3Com is the only one being detected by the installation assistant  the
other just say
ethernet controller.

Any ideas will be real nice.

Cheers
 neil...

Compatible Solaris NIC's

Post by Juergen Marend » Fri, 18 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Greetings all.
> I have Intel PII 32 mb RAM with 4.2 gb  hard-disk. Dual boot solaris 7 and
> NT workstation.
> I have a question.I have a 3Com 3C509B  III which get's detected by the
> Installation Assistant of  solaris 7.But when i do the installation, it says
> no interfaces configured.
> when i'm in the system and try a  #ifconfig le0  a.b.c.d  up
> It says le0  device  not detected.Hmmm.
> Is there something that i'm doing wrong here.Admin docs just says read the
> ifconfig manual page. Done that .
> I also have Realtek 80129 and novell ne20000 and Accton i tried all the  NIC
> i have
>  this 3Com is the only one being detected by the installation assistant  the
> other just say
> ethernet controller.

> Any ideas will be real nice.

> Cheers
>  neil...

configure the card wih 3coms config progam to the parameers in the
Device Configuration Guide. Disable PnP. Disable Autodetect.
le0 is the lance ethernet controller (AMD) found on SUN Hardware.
the 3c509 will be elx0.
ask your host about it, try netstat -ain to get all known network
interfaces configured in your host.
BTW, my copy of the 3c509b is the SLOWEST network adapter i ever had :-(
the "good old" WD/SMC cards are much faster (tested under DOS; WIN95,
Freebsd, Solaris).

Hope this helps,

Juergen Marenda.