Inverse screen colours on boot screen

Post by Simon Bud » Tue, 22 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have an old IPX station with a cgthree frame buffer
(GX card i think).

In the NVRAM on this box I can see two boolean parameters
called "inverse?" and "inverse-screen?". The values of
these addresses can be changed to cause the boot up
screen to appear white text on a black background rather
rather than the default black on white.

being able to do this is important to me as I need to
minimise the brightness/luminesence of the screen due
to the environment in which the box is being used.

I was setting these booleans from the Forth prompt by
using :

true to inverse?
true to inverse-screen?

So on the IPX box i was putting these into the NVRAMRC.

However, on an Ultra 1 with an Sbus TurboGX+ frame buffer
I get a data access error message from OpenBoot when
I try to do this.

Can anybody, anywhere help me with this?  I need some
help fairly urgently.

-----------------------
Simon Budd

Inverse screen colours on boot screen

Post by Dominic Mitchel » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>In the NVRAM on this box I can see two boolean parameters
>called "inverse?" and "inverse-screen?". The values of
>these addresses can be changed to cause the boot up
>screen to appear white text on a black background rather
>rather than the default black on white.
>being able to do this is important to me as I need to
>minimise the brightness/luminesence of the screen due
>to the environment in which the box is being used.

>I was setting these booleans from the Forth prompt by
>using :

>true to inverse?
>true to inverse-screen?

>So on the IPX box i was putting these into the NVRAMRC.

>However, on an Ultra 1 with an Sbus TurboGX+ frame buffer
>I get a data access error message from OpenBoot when
>I try to do this.

You can do this when the system boot up, by issuing an escape code:

ESC [ q

For the whole deal, see wscons(7).  However, you will stil have a brief
period of black on white, whilst it's booting.  I'm not sure how to do
this from the prom.

P.S.  ESC [ p gets you back to normal!
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
"Xerox studies suggest that most people print out electronic mail

1. How to move the cursor at (x,y), clear the screen & inverse the color

Hi, could someone tell me how:
- move the cursor at (x, y)
- clear the screen
- inverse the background color with foreground color

I use Linux Slackware 1.2.13, with gcc 2.7.
PLEASE HELP, thanks
REMO FRANCESCHELLI - ITIAV 4a Info.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7668
(Programmazione in Pascal)
** Concentrazione = Forza **

2. Intel Atlatis or Intel Endeaver motherboards? PCI Video

3. how to change screen color on console screen??

4. Creative Ensoniq Audio PCI.

5. screen: going from split screen to full screen mode

6. Syquest

7. NGROUPS_MAX

8. screen colors while booting

9. Solaris Boot Screen Colours

10. CDE : Screen saver must lock the screen

11. screen (/usr/bin/screen) is SLOW in redhat 5.1

12. screen saver for redhat6.0 logon screen