X86 Install from SBPRO CDROM Help!

Post by Don Hick » Sun, 28 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm sure this question has been answered before but I can't find any reference to it in any FAQ.  Can I install Solaris 2.4 X86 on my PC using the CDRom attached to my Sound Blaster Pro?  I'm using the latest boot disks (Driver update 9) and it dosn't find it.  Has anyone had better luck?  Has anyone written a boot driver for this? I don't care if I can access the CD from solaris but I need it during the install.

Thanks..
--
Donald Hickey
Statistics Canada

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Mon, 29 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I'm sure this question has been answered before but I can't find any
>reference to it in any FAQ.  Can I install Solaris 2.4 X86 on my PC
>using the CDRom attached to my Sound Blaster Pro?  ...

You probably can't use the CDROM attached to that SB card.  There are
three models of the SB card with interfaces to which a CDROM can be
attached.  Solaris x86 only supports CDROMs attached to two of the three
models.  Solaris supports CDROMs on the SB cards with the IDE interface
or CDROMs attached to the cards with the SCSI interface.  Solaris should
work fine with any CDROM drive that's compliant with the ATAPI/IDE
standard or the SCSI-2 standard.  The ones which we've specifically
tested are listed in the latest HCL.  Only the CDROM interface, on the SB
card with the proprietary CDROM interface, isn't supported.  In other
words you can use its sound port but not its proprietary CDROM.

BA

Post by D. Van Bever » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: I'm sure this question has been answered before but I can't find any
: reference to it in any FAQ.  Can I install Solaris 2.4 X86 on my PC using
: the CDRom attached to my Sound Blaster Pro?  I'm using the latest boot disks
: (Driver update 9) and it dosn't find it.  Has anyone had better luck?  Has
: anyone written a boot driver for this? I don't care if I can access the CD
: from solaris but I need it during the install.

You cannot use the SoundBlaster CDROM.

dvb

1. SBPRO & CDROM HELP

I boot fine.  When I run SETUP, I cannot set the SOURCE files directory
to the CDROM. I tried the Hard Drive, same problem. What am I doing wrong?

--

2. NEED alittle HELP

3. LINUX GURU needed - help with pnp SBPro CDROM

4. Couple of questions...

5. help SBPRO CD install

6. pw & root privilages

7. sbpro.conf for x86 2.5.1 needed