Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Post by Harold Kra » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00



I am looking for information about the following issues for release
2.4 of Solaris x86 (info on the latest release would also be helpful):

For IDE drives > 504 MB:
- LBA turned off:
        - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space over 504 MB (during installation) under
this conditions?

- LBA turned on:
        - Can Sol 2.4 even be installed under this condition?

- Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 504 MB point under any
conditions?

For SCSI drives > 1 GB:
- "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned on (with an Adaptec HBA):
        - Can Sol 2.4 be installed under this condition?

- "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned off:
        - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space above 1 GB (during installation) under
this conditions?

- Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 1 GB point under any
conditions?

Finally:
- Can I install part of the OS to an IDE drive (for booting), and
assign more space to a SCSI drive (again, during installation)?

My experience has been the answer is no to all of the above questions,
making a multiple OS install a major pain.  To make matters much
worse, this OS requires that it be booted from drive 0.

Just checking to see if I'm missing something or the new release is
different.

Boy I love PC's...

Thanks,
Harold

 
 
 

Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Post by Mr. Wh » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00



> I am looking for information about the following issues for release
> 2.4 of Solaris x86 (info on the latest release would also be helpful):

Limitations for disks are the same in 2.4 and 2.5 for x86.

Quote:

> For IDE drives > 504 MB:
> - LBA turned off:
>         - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space over 504 MB (during installation) under
> this conditions?

No, since it exceeds the 1024 cylinder threshold.

Quote:

> - LBA turned on:
>         - Can Sol 2.4 even be installed under this condition?

This should work ... I haven't done it but as long as the system
works with LBA, Solaris should have no qualms about it whatsoever.

Quote:

> - Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 504 MB point under any
> conditions?

See above replies.

Quote:

> For SCSI drives > 1 GB:
> - "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned on (with an Adaptec HBA):
>         - Can Sol 2.4 be installed under this condition?

Solaris docs specifically instruct you to disable this feature.
I do not know what restrictions with this parameter enabled are.

Quote:

> - "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned off:
>         - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space above 1 GB (during installation) under
> this conditions?

Absolutely... been there and done that at least 20 times.

Quote:

> - Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 1 GB point under any
> conditions?

On a SCSI drive it should be capable of doing so.  In my experience
and as cheap as disk space is these days I tend to dedicate 1 or more
disks to an operating system.

Quote:

> Finally:
> - Can I install part of the OS to an IDE drive (for booting), and
> assign more space to a SCSI drive (again, during installation)?

Yes .... although you could also consider V-Communications'
System Commander if you want to leave Solaris off of IDE
and install on SCSI only.  It allows you to boot Solaris from
SCSI (with IDE installed) contrary to warnings during the installation
process.  Their URL is http://www.v-com.com

Quote:

> My experience has been the answer is no to all of the above questions,
> making a multiple OS install a major pain.  To make matters much
> worse, this OS requires that it be booted from drive 0.

Solaris does not require this.  It does require a 3rd party boot manager
to boot from other than the 1st drive detected by the BIOS.  I wish Sun
would fix this ... but until then look into System Commander or LILO,
Linux' Boot Loader (a free alternative to System Commander).

My experience has been somewhat different than yours ... hopefully
this will help you out.

> Just checking to see if I'm missing something or the new release is
> different.

> Boy I love PC's...

> Thanks,
> Harold


I prefer Sparcs myself ... but PCs are great at their price point :-).

--
+-------------------------------------------+
| Mr. Who is:                               |          


|                                           |
| Out the serial port, into the terminal    |
| adapter... across the PSTN cloud ....     |
| over to the ISP backbone.  Nothin' but    |
| digital 'net!                             |
+-------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00





>> I am looking for information about the following issues for release
>> 2.4 of Solaris x86 (info on the latest release would also be helpful):

>Limitations for disks are the same in 2.4 and 2.5 for x86.

Assuming you're using the latest DU for both.

Quote:>> For IDE drives > 504 MB:
>> - LBA turned off:
>>         - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space over 504 MB (during installation) under
>> this conditions?

>No, since it exceeds the 1024 cylinder threshold.

You've confused the size of the disk with the limitations of the BIOS.
Newer BIOSes can support drives up to about 8Gig and still keep
everything under 1024 cylinders. It's only the older BIOSes (which
don't support any form of user specified geometry, extended address
translation, or LBA mode) that are limited to about 528MB (or about
540,000,000 depending on how you count your bytes).

Solaris can always use all of the disk. The only problem is whether you
can get your boot and root slices placed under the 1024 cylinder
boundary.  And that depends almost entirely on the capabilities of your
BIOS since it's your BIOS which decides how large a cylinder is. If
your BIOS can translate the physical geometry of the drive such that
the drive logically appears to be less than 1024 cylinders than Solaris
can be installed anywhere on the drive, even if the drive is larger
than 528MB.

(One exception: there were a couple of known bugs in the 2.4 install
program which caused it to randomly get confused and claim that your
drive was logically larger than 1024 cylinders when it in fact isn't;
those bugs have been fixed in the version of install on the 2.5 CDROM).

Quote:>> - LBA turned on:
>>         - Can Sol 2.4 even be installed under this condition?

>This should work ... I haven't done it but as long as the system
>works with LBA, Solaris should have no qualms about it whatsoever.

Assuming you're using the latest DU release.

Quote:>> - Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 504 MB point under any
>> conditions?

>See above replies.

It depends on your BIOS and what geometry translation mode you set it
to (and whether you run into one of the 2.4 install bugs). Solaris can
be installed onto and boot from any error of your disk which your BIOS
INT 13 routines can address. On a newer BIOS that includes any disk
up to about 8GB. On an older BIOS (or if you disable your BIOS's
geometry translation option) you're limited to about 528MB.

Quote:>> For SCSI drives > 1 GB:
>> - "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned on (with an Adaptec HBA):
>>         - Can Sol 2.4 be installed under this condition?

>Solaris docs specifically instruct you to disable this feature.
>I do not know what restrictions with this parameter enabled are.

No, that's wrong. The only Adaptec driver that's ever specified
that, and which still currently says that, is the one for the AHA-154x
boards. But, that's going to be changed in a upcoming DU release.

If you're not using an Adaptec AHA-154x adapter and your drive is
larger than 1 Gig then enable the "> 1 GB" option. Beware, if you've
already got partitions loaded onto your drive then you better not
change the "> 1 GB" setting. In some situations you garble your data if
you try to modify your FDISK table before and then after changing the
"> 1 GB" option. Set it once and then never change it (unless you known
what you're doing).

Quote:>> - "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned off:
>>         - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space above 1 GB (during installation) under
>> this conditions?

>Absolutely... been there and done that at least 20 times.

Whether you enable or disable this option only determines whether
your BIOS will be able to boot from areas past the 1 GB boundary.
Regardless of which way you set this option, Solaris will allow you
access to all of the disk drive. The only restrictions are placement of
the boot and root slices.

Quote:>> - Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 1 GB point under any
>> conditions?

>On a SCSI drive it should be capable of doing so.  In my experience
>and as cheap as disk space is these days I tend to dedicate 1 or more
>disks to an operating system.

Huh??? I don't see what cheap disks has to do with the 1 GB (1024
cylinder) boundary problem or where on the disk the root slice is
placed? The only thing that matters is that you have to place all the
files, that are required to boot Solaris, on a portion of the disk that
your BIOS INT 13 routines can access, i.e., below cylinder 1024
(regardless of how large a cylinder is).

Quote:>> Finally:
>> - Can I install part of the OS to an IDE drive (for booting), and
>> assign more space to a SCSI drive (again, during installation)?

>Yes .... although you could also consider V-Communications'
>System Commander if you want to leave Solaris off of IDE
>and install on SCSI only.  It allows you to boot Solaris from
>SCSI (with IDE installed) contrary to warnings during the installation
>process.  Their URL is http://www.v-com.com

>> My experience has been the answer is no to all of the above questions,
>> making a multiple OS install a major pain.  To make matters much
>> worse, this OS requires that it be booted from drive 0.

>Solaris does not require this.  It does require a 3rd party boot manager
>to boot from other than the 1st drive detected by the BIOS.  I wish Sun
>would fix this ... but until then look into System Commander or LILO,
>Linux' Boot Loader (a free alternative to System Commander).

>My experience has been somewhat different than yours ... hopefully
>this will help you out.

It's the BIOS which can only boot from drive 0. There are lots of
systems which have BIOSes that allow you to chose any drive to boot
from. For example, all the Compaq and IBM servers provide support for
chosing almost any drive as your default boot drive.  But since most
systems aren't that fancy we provide the MDB boot floppies which in
addition to booting off the install CDROM can also be used to boot from
disk drives other than the 1st drive. That's currently the only support
we provide for "over-riding" your BIOS's default boot choices.

Quote:>> Just checking to see if I'm missing something or the new release is
>> different.

The latest releases are a lot less confused about IDE disks and disk
geometries in general.

BA

 
 
 

Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Post by Roland Sawy » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00



>I am looking for information about the following issues for release
>2.4 of Solaris x86 (info on the latest release would also be helpful):
>For IDE drives > 504 MB:
>- LBA turned off:
>    - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space over 504 MB (during installation) under
>this conditions?

Well for Solaris 2.5  No problems it runs its own file system which
really takes no notice on whether LBA is on or off.  You can access
2.5 Gb if you wish. (Install guide recommends to turn it on if you
have it)  Solaris actually causes LBA mode to show up as Off on my
system.

Quote:>- LBA turned on:
>    - Can Sol 2.4 even be installed under this condition?

Solaris 2.5 can with no problems.

Quote:>- Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 504 MB point under any
>conditions?

Solaris 2.5
The /root partition has to be in the first 504Mb the remaining
partitions can be any size anywhere.
>For SCSI drives > 1 GB:
>- "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned on (with an Adaptec HBA):
>    - Can Sol 2.4 be installed under this condition?
>- "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned off:
>    - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space above 1 GB (during installation) under
>this conditions?
>- Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 1 GB point under any
>conditions?
>Finally:
>- Can I install part of the OS to an IDE drive (for booting), and
>assign more space to a SCSI drive (again, during installation)?
>My experience has been the answer is no to all of the above questions,
>making a multiple OS install a major pain.  To make matters much
>worse, this OS requires that it be booted from drive 0.
>Just checking to see if I'm missing something or the new release is
>different.
>Boy I love PC's...
>Thanks,
>Harold


 
 
 

Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Post by Harold Kra » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00


All of this was very helpful, and I am continuing my study of CIS (I
can't believe this where Sun does support), Newsgroups, Web sites,
etc.

I do have one question I wanted to clarify:
Can I install Solaris on the first SCSI disk and boot from it, even
while having an IDE installed?

I would use System Commander to do the booting, and it seems like I
tried this a year and a half ago, and it wouldn't work.

Thanks again,
Harold





>>> I am looking for information about the following issues for release
>>> 2.4 of Solaris x86 (info on the latest release would also be helpful):

>>Limitations for disks are the same in 2.4 and 2.5 for x86.
>Assuming you're using the latest DU for both.
>>> For IDE drives > 504 MB:
>>> - LBA turned off:
>>>         - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space over 504 MB (during installation) under
>>> this conditions?

>>No, since it exceeds the 1024 cylinder threshold.
>You've confused the size of the disk with the limitations of the BIOS.
>Newer BIOSes can support drives up to about 8Gig and still keep
>everything under 1024 cylinders. It's only the older BIOSes (which
>don't support any form of user specified geometry, extended address
>translation, or LBA mode) that are limited to about 528MB (or about
>540,000,000 depending on how you count your bytes).
>Solaris can always use all of the disk. The only problem is whether you
>can get your boot and root slices placed under the 1024 cylinder
>boundary.  And that depends almost entirely on the capabilities of your
>BIOS since it's your BIOS which decides how large a cylinder is. If
>your BIOS can translate the physical geometry of the drive such that
>the drive logically appears to be less than 1024 cylinders than Solaris
>can be installed anywhere on the drive, even if the drive is larger
>than 528MB.
>(One exception: there were a couple of known bugs in the 2.4 install
>program which caused it to randomly get confused and claim that your
>drive was logically larger than 1024 cylinders when it in fact isn't;
>those bugs have been fixed in the version of install on the 2.5 CDROM).
>>> - LBA turned on:
>>>         - Can Sol 2.4 even be installed under this condition?

>>This should work ... I haven't done it but as long as the system
>>works with LBA, Solaris should have no qualms about it whatsoever.
>Assuming you're using the latest DU release.
>>> - Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 504 MB point under any
>>> conditions?

>>See above replies.
>It depends on your BIOS and what geometry translation mode you set it
>to (and whether you run into one of the 2.4 install bugs). Solaris can
>be installed onto and boot from any error of your disk which your BIOS
>INT 13 routines can address. On a newer BIOS that includes any disk
>up to about 8GB. On an older BIOS (or if you disable your BIOS's
>geometry translation option) you're limited to about 528MB.
>>> For SCSI drives > 1 GB:
>>> - "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned on (with an Adaptec HBA):
>>>         - Can Sol 2.4 be installed under this condition?

>>Solaris docs specifically instruct you to disable this feature.
>>I do not know what restrictions with this parameter enabled are.
>No, that's wrong. The only Adaptec driver that's ever specified
>that, and which still currently says that, is the one for the AHA-154x
>boards. But, that's going to be changed in a upcoming DU release.
>If you're not using an Adaptec AHA-154x adapter and your drive is
>larger than 1 Gig then enable the "> 1 GB" option. Beware, if you've
>already got partitions loaded onto your drive then you better not
>change the "> 1 GB" setting. In some situations you garble your data if
>you try to modify your FDISK table before and then after changing the
>"> 1 GB" option. Set it once and then never change it (unless you known
>what you're doing).
>>> - "Enable DOS drives > 1 GB" turned off:
>>>         - Can Sol 2.4 recognize space above 1 GB (during installation) under
>>> this conditions?

>>Absolutely... been there and done that at least 20 times.
>Whether you enable or disable this option only determines whether
>your BIOS will be able to boot from areas past the 1 GB boundary.
>Regardless of which way you set this option, Solaris will allow you
>access to all of the disk drive. The only restrictions are placement of
>the boot and root slices.
>>> - Can Sol 2.4 be installed starting past the 1 GB point under any
>>> conditions?

>>On a SCSI drive it should be capable of doing so.  In my experience
>>and as cheap as disk space is these days I tend to dedicate 1 or more
>>disks to an operating system.
>Huh??? I don't see what cheap disks has to do with the 1 GB (1024
>cylinder) boundary problem or where on the disk the root slice is
>placed? The only thing that matters is that you have to place all the
>files, that are required to boot Solaris, on a portion of the disk that
>your BIOS INT 13 routines can access, i.e., below cylinder 1024
>(regardless of how large a cylinder is).
>>> Finally:
>>> - Can I install part of the OS to an IDE drive (for booting), and
>>> assign more space to a SCSI drive (again, during installation)?

>>Yes .... although you could also consider V-Communications'
>>System Commander if you want to leave Solaris off of IDE
>>and install on SCSI only.  It allows you to boot Solaris from
>>SCSI (with IDE installed) contrary to warnings during the installation
>>process.  Their URL is http://www.v-com.com

>>> My experience has been the answer is no to all of the above questions,
>>> making a multiple OS install a major pain.  To make matters much
>>> worse, this OS requires that it be booted from drive 0.

>>Solaris does not require this.  It does require a 3rd party boot manager
>>to boot from other than the 1st drive detected by the BIOS.  I wish Sun
>>would fix this ... but until then look into System Commander or LILO,
>>Linux' Boot Loader (a free alternative to System Commander).

>>My experience has been somewhat different than yours ... hopefully
>>this will help you out.
>It's the BIOS which can only boot from drive 0. There are lots of
>systems which have BIOSes that allow you to chose any drive to boot
>from. For example, all the Compaq and IBM servers provide support for
>chosing almost any drive as your default boot drive.  But since most
>systems aren't that fancy we provide the MDB boot floppies which in
>addition to booting off the install CDROM can also be used to boot from
>disk drives other than the 1st drive. That's currently the only support
>we provide for "over-riding" your BIOS's default boot choices.
>>> Just checking to see if I'm missing something or the new release is
>>> different.
>The latest releases are a lot less confused about IDE disks and disk
>geometries in general.
>BA

 
 
 

Info on installing to IDE/SCSI drives on Intel

Post by John D Groenve » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00



> I do have one question I wanted to clarify:
> Can I install Solaris on the first SCSI disk and boot from it, even
> while having an IDE installed?

MR-BIOS and the Triton bios OEMs (ie ASUS) are adding support for
SCSI booting. I guess you really mean can you have a boot manager on your
IDE disk and then run the OS on a SCSI partition. Search the archives of this
group and perhaps the Linux heirarchy.
Good luck,
John