root can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts or make directory

root can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts or make directory

Post by Valenti » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:06:12

first of all, thank you all for this great service.

I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
(Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root i can not edit
/etc/profile or /etc/hosts.
Not only that, i can not create a directory except in /tmp. I
appreciate your
quick response on this issue.

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:20:18

> first of all, thank you all for this great service.

> I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
> (Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root i can not edit
> /etc/profile or /etc/hosts.
> Not only that, i can not create a directory except in /tmp. I
> appreciate your
> quick response on this issue.

Root can edit any file and create a file or directory anywhere.  You ain't
root.

# who am i

Post by Sam » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:21:12

>>first of all, thank you all for this great service.

>>I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
>>(Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root i can not edit
>>/etc/profile or /etc/hosts.
>>Not only that, i can not create a directory except in /tmp. I
>>appreciate your
>>quick response on this issue.

> Root can edit any file and create a file or directory anywhere.  You ain't
> root.

> # who am i

or, you've been rooted :)

--
--- Disclaimer - all statements represent personal opinions of the
poster, and not those of Sun Microsystems. Any statements may be

Post by Tony Walto » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:39:04

>>> first of all, thank you all for this great service.

>>> I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
>>> (Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root i can not edit
>>> /etc/profile or /etc/hosts.
>>> Not only that, i can not create a directory except in /tmp. I
>>> appreciate your
>>> quick response on this issue.

>> Root can edit any file and create a file or directory anywhere.  You
>> ain't
>> root.

>> # who am i

> or, you've been rooted :)

Or, / is mounted readonly.  It would help if the OP specified what "i
can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts" meant.  Can't read them or
can't write them?  Or can't find the editor, or can open them but sees
gibberish (so TERM is up the duff) or what?

--
Tony

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:01:54

> Or, / is mounted readonly.  It would help if the OP specified what "i
> can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts" meant.  Can't read them or
> can't write them?  Or can't find the editor, or can open them but sees
> gibberish (so TERM is up the duff) or what?

Could the OP have "installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers" with /
mounted ro?

Post by Andre » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:47:14

>> Or, / is mounted readonly.  It would help if the OP specified what "i
>> can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts" meant.  Can't read them or
>> can't write them?  Or can't find the editor, or can open them but sees
>> gibberish (so TERM is up the duff) or what?
> Could the OP have "installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers" with /
> mounted ro?

no, but perhaps he's locked into a PeeCee mentality
and felt the need to rebewt his machine after installing
ssh & wrappers, and for whatever reason the system came
up with / mounted readonly.

more information is needed, but most likely this one
is user error.

Andrew

1. root can not edit /etc/hosts or /etc/profile, can not create directory

first of all, thank you all for this great service.

I have installed and configured SSH and TCP wrappers on solaris 8
(Sparc) as per the instructions. Now as root I experience permission
issues such as can not edit /etc/profile or /etc/hosts. Not only that,
root can not create a directory except in /tmp.
I appreciate your quick response on this issue.

2. Problems with HP 35470A Tape Drive (SCSI)

3. Looking for sample /etc/named.conf and etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts

4. return code from rsh ?

5. /etc/hosts.deny & /etc/hosts.allow ??

6. linuxppc R4 on B&W G3 HELP!

7. /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow

8. VME BUS device driver

9. ksh not reading /.profile or /etc/profile

10. Not reading /etc/profile or .profile

11. getting xdm to read /etc/profile and /etc/environment

12. /etc/profile - /etc/bashrc

13. set Java CLASSPATH in /etc/profile or /etc/bashrc ?