crontab -e or crontab -l is not functioning properly

crontab -e or crontab -l is not functioning properly

Post by Randa » Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:35:23

Hello Group!

 I have situation with crontab -e and crontab -l commands not
functioning properly on an Utlra 1 running SUN Solaris 5.8 Patch_Level
is 13. It was
working fine until one of the Windows Admins tried to edit the crontab
file through a text editor instead of vi. He overwrote the original
files
when he saved the changes to the crontab file. So now when you type in
the
commands <crontab -e> or <crontab -l> you get this error message
below:

#ld.so.l:crontab: fatal: relocation error: file crontab: symbol
audit_crontab_not_allowed: referenced symbol not found.
killed
#

Can anyone shead some light to how I can fix this issue with the
crontab
command?

crontab -e or crontab -l is not functioning properly

Post by Matt » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:21:28

Quote:> Hello Group!

>  I have situation with crontab -e and crontab -l commands not
> functioning properly on an Utlra 1 running SUN Solaris 5.8 Patch_Level
> is 13. It was
> working fine until one of the Windows Admins tried to edit the crontab
> file through a text editor instead of vi. He overwrote the original
> files
> when he saved the changes to the crontab file. So now when you type in
> the
> commands <crontab -e> or <crontab -l> you get this error message
> below:

> #ld.so.l:crontab: fatal: relocation error: file crontab: symbol
> audit_crontab_not_allowed: referenced symbol not found.
> killed
> #

> Can anyone shead some light to how I can fix this issue with the
> crontab
> command?

How about renaming the problem crontab file or files in
/var/spool/cron/crontabs and then recreating from scratch ?

Or restore them from the last good backup. ?

Post by joe durusa » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:56:38

> > Hello Group!

> >  I have situation with crontab -e and crontab -l commands not
> > functioning properly on an Utlra 1 running SUN Solaris 5.8 Patch_Level
> > is 13. It was
> > working fine until one of the Windows Admins tried to edit the crontab
> > file through a text editor instead of vi. He overwrote the original
> > files
> > when he saved the changes to the crontab file. So now when you type in
> > the
> > commands <crontab -e> or <crontab -l> you get this error message
> > below:

> > #ld.so.l:crontab: fatal: relocation error: file crontab: symbol
> > audit_crontab_not_allowed: referenced symbol not found.
> > killed
> > #

> > Can anyone shead some light to how I can fix this issue with the
> > crontab
> > command?

> How about renaming the problem crontab file or files in
> /var/spool/cron/crontabs and then recreating from scratch ?

> Or restore them from the last good backup. ?

You might consider having someone run pkgchk on SUNWcsu.
The error sounds like /usr/bin/crontab or soemthing it uses may
have been damaged.  You might also consider changing the root
password.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Post by Anton Ran » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:23:13

> You might consider having someone run pkgchk on SUNWcsu.
> The error sounds like /usr/bin/crontab or soemthing it uses may
> have been damaged.  You might also consider changing the root
> password.

A good idea.

The audit_crontab_not_allowed symbol is normally found in /usr/lib/libbsm.so.
Perhaps that was replaced after somebody hacked in?  Or accidentally deleted?

-- Anton

Post by Vlad Gra » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:21:52

> Hello Group!

>  I have situation with crontab -e and crontab -l commands not
> functioning properly on an Utlra 1 running SUN Solaris 5.8 Patch_Level
> is 13. It was
> working fine until one of the Windows Admins tried to edit the crontab
> file through a text editor instead of vi. He overwrote the original
> files
> when he saved the changes to the crontab file. So now when you type in
> the
> commands <crontab -e> or <crontab -l> you get this error message
> below:

> #ld.so.l:crontab: fatal: relocation error: file crontab: symbol
> audit_crontab_not_allowed: referenced symbol not found.
> killed
> #

> Can anyone shead some light to how I can fix this issue with the
> crontab
> command?

I don't know what causes this error but if you think the crontab edit
may be the problem why don't you try to copy the current crontab file
and replace it with a very simple one (say a single line written by
you the way you did before and worked or even better the original
crontab that came with Solaris). That way you can easily tell if
there's a problem with the file or anything else.
The crontab file for a user can be found in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/
and has the user's name.

Vlad.

Post by Oscar del Ri » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:31:00

> The audit_crontab_not_allowed symbol is normally found in /usr/lib/libbsm.so.
> Perhaps that was replaced after somebody hacked in?  Or accidentally deleted?

It's there on Solaris 9/10 but I don't see it in Solaris 8.
I suspect someone tried to "fix" crontab by copying /usr/bin/crontab
from Solaris 9 to Solaris 8.

# uname -r
5.8
# nm /usr/lib/libbsm.so.1 | grep crontab
audit_crontab.c
audit_crontab_delete
audit_crontab_get_diffs
audit_crontab_modify

# uname -r
5.9
# nm /usr/lib/libbsm.so.1 | grep crontab
audit_crontab.c
audit_crontab_delete
audit_crontab_get_diffs
audit_crontab_modify
audit_crontab_not_allowed
audit_crontab_process_not_audited

crontab -e or crontab -l is not functioning properly

Post by Anders Odber » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:32:45

[Randall]

|   So now when you type in the commands <crontab -e> or <crontab -l> you
|   get this error message below:
|
|   #ld.so.l:crontab: fatal: relocation error: file crontab: symbol
|   audit_crontab_not_allowed: referenced symbol not found.
|   killed
|   #

You haven't by any chance applied an old version of the patch 109007
recently? I think it was 109007-09 which broke crontab in the way you
describe above (unless 108875-13 was also applied). Newer versions of
109007 fixed this problem. You might try installing 109007-18.

Regards,
        -Anders.

  University of Oslo, Norway

Post by kanej » Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:43:36

> Hello Group!

>  I have situation with crontab -e and crontab -l commands not
> functioning properly on an Utlra 1 running SUN Solaris 5.8 Patch_Level
> is 13. It was
> working fine until one of the Windows Admins tried to edit the crontab
> file through a text editor instead of vi. He overwrote the original
> files
> when he saved the changes to the crontab file. So now when you type in
> the
> commands <crontab -e> or <crontab -l> you get this error message
> below:

> #ld.so.l:crontab: fatal: relocation error: file crontab: symbol
> audit_crontab_not_allowed: referenced symbol not found.
> killed
> #

> Can anyone shead some light to how I can fix this issue with the
> crontab
> command?

Randall

 There may be some non printable characters (escape sequences) left
behind in the crontab file.
 try doing:

cp /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root.save
cat /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root | col -b -x > /tmp/x
cp /tmp/x /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

now try crontab -l and ctontab -e again and see if you still get
the error messages.

Good Luck

--

1. To crontab or NOT to crontab!!!

Dear ALL,

I need to know if there is a way to create a crontab to do the
following task:

cp file1 file2

I do not have enough space on my server and the system dump files that
I need to
empty every day. If  I don't empty these files manually they will get
bigger and bigger.
I need the system to take care of this task automatically. Crontab
might not be good
idea, but what else???

Thank you very much!

--
Khalid Mubireek,  Web Master
The Islamic and Arabic arts and architecture Org.

2. Microsoft's secret sales recipe

3. crontab problem: I can't run a java program via crontab

4. gz file type

5. crontab entries generate error message; problem with ownership of crontab file?

6. strange behavior of errpt

7. fix to crontab problem ("no changes made to crontab")

8. dontreadcheckingrouterports

9. link a crontab -> "crontab -e" remove link

10. RH difference between /etc/crontab and crontab -e

11. using functions in crontab script

12. Crontab not mailing command output

13. the specified scripts was not running at specified time in crontab