Efficiency: fork() w/ shared libraries vs. fork()/exec()

Efficiency: fork() w/ shared libraries vs. fork()/exec()

Post by Paul O'Kee » Sat, 17 Apr 1993 09:24:27

I want to create a multiprocess application where each process has
a specialized and distinct function.

I can either fork()/exec() separate programs for each process
or link of the separate programs into a single dynamically linked image
and fork() multiple instances of it.

Question: which approach is the more efficient (under SunOS 4.1.x and 5.x)?

-Paul O'Keefe

1. comsat forking, forking and forking (3.2.0)

94

Has anyone an idea on what could have caused all those comsat
processes to appear in less than one night? (I got really heavy mail
traffic this nite, so I guess it's related).

Would replacing comsat with the BSD one help solving the problem?

--

   "No keyboard, press F1 to continue"

2. PNP ISDN TA

3. fork vs. exec vs thr_create

4. Any good example of ipchains input rules.

5. error with fork,exec and library

6. Help needed with recovering the filesystem after a diskcrash.

7. system() vs. fork/exec/waitpid

8. Bepcodes for AS200 4/233

9. File descriptors shared between forked+exec'd programs

10. suid-ing after fork in shared library

11. How shared libraries work with fork() ?

12. fork call without using function fork()

13. to fork or to pre-fork