Rack enclosures for E450s

Post by Gary Bennet » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:35:43

I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display,
keyboard and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would
like to get something more secure and stable for my Operations area.

I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey
for my *. Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

TIA for any assistance.

gary bennett
shands healthcare at uf
information services

Rack enclosures for E450s

Post by Gary Bennet » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:39:10

I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display,
keyboard and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would
like to get something more secure and stable for my Operations area.

I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey
for my *. Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

TIA for any assistance.

gary bennett
shands healthcare at uf
information services

Rack enclosures for E450s

Post by Joe Blogg » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:39:13

You could consider using Compaq racks - think they're quite a bit cheaper
than the shark racks.

As for which KVM switch, I've used Shiva Atoms (serial terminal server)
without any problems.  Think they've been EOL'd now though.

Quote:> I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display,
> keyboard and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would
> like to get something more secure and stable for my Operations area.

> I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey
> for my *. Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

> TIA for any assistance.

> gary bennett
> shands healthcare at uf
> information services

Rack enclosures for E450s

Post by Karel Adam » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 06:50:48

Quote:> I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display,
> keyboard and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would
> like to get something more secure and stable for my Operations area.

> I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey
> for my *. Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

That sounds expensive indeed, yet not as expensive as genuine Sun racks.
Over here in Europe, I've been using 44U high racks that cost some $1500
at a rough estimate (I am no more sure of the exact price, and less about
the conversion rate) including delivery and set-up in the computer-room.
These are very basic and yet they do all I want - to hold the machines.
They originated from a company called MulderHardenberg, I think you
can find them at www.mulharb.com but cannot be sure now.

Frankly, to my experience any rack offers sufficient stability.
And security should be at the computer-room's entrance,
not in the racks, to my humble opinion.

Final thought: your rack will be quite full with all that equipment.
There will certainly be no room left for UPS's
(yes if you do want UPS, you do want two of them!)
If you want rack-mounting you should really prefer E420R's,
though these accept only two harddisks. So if you require
a lot of storage, external cabinets will be required and these are
_very_ expensive.
Make sure to order shelves! At least one for the display and
another for KB+mouse +KVM switch.

Best rgds,

KA

---------
never will peace be gained through acts of *

Rack enclosures for E450s

Post by David B. Schmi » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:05:40

At my site I've gone with the shark racks for both the e450's and e3500's -
well built and have a couple of nice features over the APC rack that houses the
other two e450's.  They are pricey - but I don't worry too much when extending
a e420R or e220R out at the top.  I also added the slide & twist keyboard rack
so I could have a full sized keyboard & mouse but opted for a fixed shelf and
put one of the Sun monitors on it.

I moved my equipment out of a Compaq rack - although suitable - I just found
the Shark racks are a better quality overall.  Might want to check around for
better pricing...

-David B. Schmidt

says...

Post by Aleksandar Milivojevi » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 03:26:00

> I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display,
> keyboard and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would
> like to get something more secure and stable for my Operations area.

> I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey
> for my *. Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

Buying E450 was bad idea if your intention was to put them in rack :-)

I know because I have 4 of them.  They occupy 12 units in rack,
compared to 4 units E420!  E450 was designed as deskside server.  E420
was designed as rack mountable server.

Instead of wasting space in two racks for my 4 E450, I simply used
them to fill gaps and holes in my system room...

--

Opinions expressed herein are my own.
Statements included here may be fiction rather than truth.

Rack enclosures for E450s

Post by gary drummon » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 01:46:31

> I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display,
> keyboard and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would
> like to get something more secure and stable for my Operations area.

> I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey
> for my *. Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

> TIA for any assistance.

> gary bennett
> shands healthcare at uf
> information services

Other solutions may not include the * toy...  :^)

The Shark rack worked for us using a shelf and the keyboard tray, but we
use terminal servers for access to our 40+ server's console ports. For
graphics access where it is needed, we telnet and set the display back,
or logon through the CDE screen. If we were short on Sun boxes, an X86
works fine (at home). We do have a second network for management and
backups which keeps the non-production traffic away from the production
network.

Gary

1. Rack encl for E450s

I'm searching for some sort of rack enclosure for two E450s, a display, keyboard

and KVM switch.  I'm currently using breadracks, but I would like to get
something
more secure and stable for my Operations area.

I've gotten a quote for $5400 from SharkRack, but that is a bit pricey for my
blood.
Does anyone else have any solutions or suggestions?

TIA for any assistance.

gary bennett
shands healthcare at uf
information services

2. man

3. Current wisdom on rack-mounted enclosures?

4. Announce: XFS split patches for 2.4.21

5. Rack Mount Enclosures

6. Compiling MOL

7. Brocade 6400 and Sun Expansion Rack - can it be rack mounted ?

8. Red Hat Linux Upgrade

9. Rack system for rack-mountable PC's

10. 3rd party racks kits for sun 900 series rack.

11. Will rack kit for 450 fit in APC type racks

12. E450s can't boot w/0 keybd + monitor

13. Weird behavior on Sun E450s