NAVY SAILOR NEEDS HELP ! ! !

Post by braze.. » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am having a problem with the install of a SPARC 5.  It seems when we launch our COE, all the menu items are blacked out.  Still
functional - meaning we can select options that we know are there, we just can't see anything.

Specifics:

Solaris 2.3
Sparc 5
17 inch SUN monitor

NOTE:  Noticed on boot up, instead of the SOLARIS icon that displays to the left  a different icon is displayed that says

"S24 24 bit color"

Question:  Is there a way to change the mode on the Video Card that comes with this system.  The video is integrated onto the
motherboard, so I'm told.  Any ideas.  Very important.

Muchos Gracias.

NAVY SAILOR NEEDS HELP ! ! !

Post by Charles Stephen » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

 b> I am having a problem with the install of a SPARC 5.  It seems
 b> when we launch our COE, all the menu items are blacked out.  Still
 b> functional - meaning we can select options that we know are there,
 b> we just can't see anything.

 b> Specifics:

 b> Solaris 2.3

^^^ Do you have the TCX packages from 2.3 Edition II?  If not, then X
will have a tough time with the FB.

Solaris 2.3 is equiv. to a "-9 cursed wand of wishing" (very bad, very
buggy). Dip Solaris 2.4 (or better yet, 2.5.1) on the system and the
curse will be removed, unless your application requires it.

 b> NOTE: Noticed on boot up, instead of the SOLARIS icon that
 b> displays to the left a different icon is displayed that says

 b> "S24 24 bit color"

This is a TCX rev. 0 frame buffer.  It is directly coupled to the
memory bus of the CPU.

 b> Question: Is there a way to change the mode on the Video Card that
 b> comes with this system.  The video is integrated onto the
 b> motherboard, so I'm told.  Any ideas.  Very important.

You can remove the frame buffer (it is in the special AFX slot) and
replace it with a CG6-family card (TGX, GX+, etc).

cfs
--

Software Engineer (I think)        = "And thus spake the great lawyers:
SunSoft, a SMI Business            =  thou shall not speaketh for Sun or its

1. NAVY SAILOR NEEDS HELP

Two Questions Really:

1.  I am using Sol. 2.3 and creating HomePages.  Many of my utilities for Graphics are located on a DOS
machine, so I must transfer my .GIF images to unix from DOS.  Can anyone tell me how to do this ?  When I
access the floppy via volcheck and cd /vol/dev/rdiskette0, I see nothing.  Are there commands on
SOLARIS like SCO's dosdir ????

2.  What is a good graphics utility for UNIX ?  I only have imagetool.   I would like to change some images
to greyscale from color and imagetool isn't doing it.  Am I missing something ?

Thanks for your time.
Nathan Brazell
DP1      USN

2. Tunneling, TFTP

3. NAVY SAILOR NEEDS HELP PLEEEEZE

4. Solved: Cygnus g++ install to alt. dir.

5. NAVY SAILOR NEEDS HELP.

6. Installing X-Windows run independant from the CD-Rom, HOW???

7. UNIX (FreeBSD) in MIS and NT in the Navy

8. Linux and Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0

9. rdate and the US Navy

10. Navy ship with NT (redux)

11. Where is remus.nrl.navy.mil gone?