712/60 HP PA-RISC no boot disk

Post by Paul Dickin » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:00:42

Hi,
Does anyone know where on the Sun site there may be information on how to
install Solaris 8 without a boot disk. Since this machine came with a wiped
hard drive, there is no way to make a bootable CD. Has anyone been able to
work around this problem?

The machien has an external CD-ROM, SCSI, which is seen by the ROM on the
712/60, but I cannot, obviously, boot from it. The CD has the Instal CD for
Solaris 8 inserted, but cannot read anything. I was told that Solaris runs
well on a 712/60, and would love to prove that point.

Regards,
Paul

--
Non, je n'ai rien oubli - Lvis Bouliane
sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt - Virgil

712/60 HP PA-RISC no boot disk

Post by cjt & trefoi » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:03:16

I'd be surprised if you could get _any_ version of Solaris running on an HP
machine, and in particular Solaris 8 (which is available for Sun and X86,
neither of which is binary compatible with PA-RISC).  Get a Sun.  Or a copy
of HP-UX.

Maybe you were told UNIX runs on a 712/60?

> Hi,
> Does anyone know where on the Sun site there may be information on how to
> install Solaris 8 without a boot disk. Since this machine came with a wiped
> hard drive, there is no way to make a bootable CD. Has anyone been able to
> work around this problem?

> The machien has an external CD-ROM, SCSI, which is seen by the ROM on the
> 712/60, but I cannot, obviously, boot from it. The CD has the Instal CD for
> Solaris 8 inserted, but cannot read anything. I was told that Solaris runs
> well on a 712/60, and would love to prove that point.

> Regards,
> Paul

> --
> Non, je n'ai rien oubli - Lvis Bouliane
> sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt - Virgil
> de gustibus non disputandum est - attrib Cicero
> Association Football: http://www.mattoid.net
> Information Technology: http://www.mattoid.com
> Ephemera: http://www.mattoid.ca

1. HP 9000 PA RISC 712/60 $160!!!!

I have 10 avaliable:
Hewlett Packard 712/60 PA-RISC Unix Workstation. 32mb (2x16) RAM,  (more
ram available)1GB hard drive, 2 serial slots, 1 parallel, 1 SCSI-II, 1 EISA
slot (with adapter),  Ethernet and audio in and out ports. Sorry no UX
installed. All in perfect working condition.  This is just the box w/hd and
ram. No monitor, no keyboard, no cables or other accessories.
Price: $160 US plus $20 for insured shipping/handling (UPS Ground COD
within cont. US/Canada)
Ross (905)820-0875

I also have the Hewlett Packard 20" A1097 Monitors for these (though the
systems will run with any monitor) these monitors are about 65lbs and would
cost a fortune to ship --- but are available for $150US each +
shipping.........

2. How to setup the TIME?

3. Xmodem on a HP 9000 712/60 running HP-UX 10.20

4. : maximum process # in SYSV 4.2

5. FS $350: HP 9000 712/80 HP/UX (9.03) UNIX RISC Workstation 1.44 flop/32m/SCSI

6. Kate Editor: Strange SDI / MDI problem

7. install from a partition.

8. Linux on a HP 712/60

9. HP 712/60 plz help

10. support for HP 712/60?