SENDMAIL

Post by Olubusola Fawehinm » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I was told to setup sendmail for a Solaris machine. I dont know how to
start. Is there any place or any site I can go to help me get started.

Newbie.

SENDMAIL

Post by Dwai » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Look at

mysun.sun.com

Dwai.

In article

Quote:> I was told to setup sendmail for a Solaris machine. I dont know how to

--
Unix Rules....Windoze sucks!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

SENDMAIL

Post by Fran » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Normally, sendmail will already run under Solaris.
man sendmail
http://www.sendmail.org
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sendmail2/

Hope this helps.

Frank

Olubusola Fawehinmi schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:>I was told to setup sendmail for a Solaris machine. I dont know how to
>start. Is there any place or any site I can go to help me get started.

>Newbie.

SENDMAIL

Post by Eric McGoug » Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I was told to setup sendmail for a Solaris machine. I dont know how to
> start. Is there any place or any site I can go to help me get started.

http://docs.sun.com is a good place to start look search for sendmail

http://www.sendmail.org is another good source

Eric McGough
http://www.futureplus.ws

SENDMAIL

Post by Gary Tay Teng Tec » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:11:51

Usually sendmail is setup for delivering local mails to local mail users
on the UNIX (mail) server, if this is your local requirement, no
particular efforts are required.

If u would like "sendmail" to be able to deliver Internet Mail (note:
assumsing just sending, no receiving of mails from Internet, and assuming
unix server behind FireWall), then:

1) define a mail domain and DNS resolver in /etc/resolv.conf, eg:

domain intranet.com
nameserver dns1.intranet.com
nameserver dns2.intranet.com

(I assume here your local Intranet has it own Internal DNS Servers)

2) add "dns" after "files" for the hosts lookup in /etc/nsswitch.conf

hosts: files dns

3) define a forwarding SMTP mail gateway (usually outside of FireWall),
and name it "mailhost", alias  "mailhost.intranet.com", you must have
FireWall rule opened for port 25 to this mail gateway

123.4.56.78    mailhost    mailhost.intranet.com

4) backup the original /etc/mail/sendmail.cf, copy /etc/mail/main.cf.new
to /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

5) restart sendmail:

# ps -ef | grep sendmail
# kill -HUP <process_id_of_sendmail>

6) perform a test

# mailq
# mailq
# cat /var/log/syslog

7) if u would like to send and receive Internet mail. your UNIX (mail)
server must be placed outside FireWall, all the steps in 1) to 6) applies,
except that

7.1) "intranet.com" in /etc/resolv.conf will become your extranet
"domain.com"
7.1) dns1.intranet.com and dns2.intarnet.com should be replaced with ISP
or your Extranet DNSs
7.2) if u would like the UNIX server serves as mail server (POP3 or IMAP),
then add "mailhost" and "mailhost.domain.com" as the aliases of the local
hostname, otherwise it will fwd unresolved mail address.

Hope this helps

Gary

> I was told to setup sendmail for a Solaris machine. I dont know how to
> start. Is there any place or any site I can go to help me get started.

> Newbie.

1. sendmail 8.6.8 and sendmail.cw

As a result of the latest security related postings regarding sendmail,
I've got the sendmail 8.6.8 binary and configuration files (from our local
security group) but I can't find anyone to tell me how to set up
/etc/sendmail.cw for my site. Following the example file, if my machine
were public.x.org, /etc/sendmail.cw would look like:

public.x.org ftp.x.org

My machine, however, has no internet alias. What should be in my
/etc/sendmail.cw?

If you're reading this from comp.mail.sendmail, please respond via e-mail
since this is not one of my regular groups.

2. Beginner's question about "ln"

3. sendmail SLOWdown (FBSD 4.1 / Sendmail 8.11.0)

4. Program to check if cache is real or dummy

5. Sendmail routing to UUCP host on OS5.0.4 (sendmail 8.8.5)

6. MHreply

7. AmiVIs+Sendmail+Sophos - Need a little help please with sendmail.cf for ..

8. NIS and the automount

9. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

10. AIX 4.1 Sendmail; comp.mail.sendmail

11. sendmail queue delays (Sun sendmail, Solaris2.3, SS10)

12. problem in unstanding sendmail/cf SMTP auth (Solaris 8 Sendmail 8.10) Please Explain

13. mail sendmail sendmail.cf problems