Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on solaris7)

Post by Tau K » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:24:30

Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on
solaris7)

After I set my befault shell to bash ( the path was correct ), I
repeatdly failed to login via ftp. telnet and others work fine, but
only ftp does not.

I supposed there could be a problem with .bashrc file, but I even
didn't set anything on .bashrc.

ps. If you reply via e-mail, I would really appreciate that. Thanks in
advance

Post by Tau K » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:27:34

Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on
solaris7)

After I set my befault shell to bash ( the path was correct ), I
repeatdly failed to login via ftp. telnet and others work fine, but
only ftp does not.

I supposed there could be a problem with .bashrc file, but I even
didn't set anything on .bashrc.

ps. If you reply via e-mail, I would really appreciate that. Thanks in
advance

Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on solaris7)

Post by Sonny Lema » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 02:00:49

Tau,
check /etc/shells
it is for listing the shells program (incl. the path) along
with its path.
check man ftpd & man ftp.

-sonny

Post by Chris Thomps » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 03:34:21

>Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on
>solaris7)

>After I set my befault shell to bash ( the path was correct ), I
>repeatdly failed to login via ftp. telnet and others work fine, but
>only ftp does not.

>I supposed there could be a problem with .bashrc file, but I even
>didn't set anything on .bashrc.

Try "man ftpd" and look at this part:

  in.ftpd authenticates users according to four rules.

  [...]

  Third, ftp access is denied if the user's  shell  is  not  a
  shell listed in getusershell(3C).

and then "man getusershell" (or "man shells") will tell you how
to add shells to this list.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on solaris7)

Post by Rob Tone » Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:50:57

You need to add a /etc/shell file.  Ftp usually uses bsh.   This made me
pull my head out until I figured it out.   I believe the man on ftp tells
you the syntex on the /etc/shell file.   If not give me a holler I will
look it up for ya

> Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on
> solaris7)

> After I set my befault shell to bash ( the path was correct ), I
> repeatdly failed to login via ftp. telnet and others work fine, but
> only ftp does not.

> I supposed there could be a problem with .bashrc file, but I even
> didn't set anything on .bashrc.

> ps. If you reply via e-mail, I would really appreciate that. Thanks in
> advance

1. Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on solaris7)

Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell (on
solaris7)

After I set my befault shell to bash ( the path was correct ), I
repeatdly failed to login via ftp. telnet and others work fine, but
only ftp does not.

I supposed there could be a problem with .bashrc file, but I even
didn't set anything on .bashrc.

ps. If you reply via e-mail, I would really appreciate that. Thanks in
advance

2. Undefined symbol while linking on Solaris

3. Plop Linux

4. Having problem with ftp login when I set bash as default shell

5. difference between open and fopen

6. How to set bash as default-shell

7. Change the size of a file system - please help

9. Difference between bash shell and default shell? -newbie

10. where is default path set for a login shell?

11. ftp won't allow users who run bash as their login shells?

12. Setting bash as a login shell