How to install a adaptec scsi pci card in sun ultra 10 sparc

How to install a adaptec scsi pci card in sun ultra 10 sparc

Post by Ralp » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 07:41:26

I have installed a pci older adaptec scsi card in a sun ultra 10 with solaris 8.
How do I get the system to see it and make it work.

I have rebooted with   boot -r

I also stop A  and  reset-all

I hooded a known good scsi external hard drive and cable to the scsi card and it
won't see it.

Someone help me

Thanks

Ralph

Post by John Edward » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:17:09

> I have installed a pci older adaptec scsi card in a sun ultra 10 with solaris 8.
> How do I get the system to see it and make it work.

> I have rebooted with   boot -r

> I also stop A  and  reset-all

> I hooded a known good scsi external hard drive and cable to the scsi card and it
> won't see it.

> Someone help me

> Thanks

> Ralph

Check the compatibility matrix.  I don't think the Adaptec SCSI
controllers are supported on SPARC Solaris.

How to install a adaptec scsi pci card in sun ultra 10 sparc

Post by Torsten Robert Kirschne » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:12:00

Quote:> I have installed a pci older adaptec scsi card in a sun ultra 10 with solaris 8.
> How do I get the system to see it and make it work.

> I have rebooted with   boot -r

> I also stop A  and  reset-all

> I hooded a known good scsi external hard drive and cable to the
> scsi card and it won't see it.

Sun's SCSI driver 'glm' might/does not support the Adaptec chipset.
One can run additional drivers and rumor has it that a certain Adaptec
PCI HBA (2910 or 2940?) was available in an 'open firmware' version.
Some years ago Adaptec made their driver for this 29[14]0/OW or so
available for SPARC Solaris 2.6 and/or 2.7.
Since then, the driver and card have been EOL'd. In addition, this
card would not work on Solaris >= 8 anyway.

The cheapest OTS PC PCI HBAs for SPARC Solaris use chipsets by LSI
Logic, (www.lsilogic.com) certainly because Sun OEM'd some of them.
I.e. some of their "PC" HBAs work plug&play in SPARCs, even though
LSI does not flag them as such.
Ebay (www.ebay.com) is carrying loads of these for cheap.

One would hope that the actual continuation of Solaris 9 on the x86
platform eventually will make more drivers available for the SPARC
edition as well. Then again, Sun's latest statement on "free Solaris"
or rather its demise, indicates the contrary. Who knows?