Help with Solaris 9 Installation Problem on Ultra 60

Help with Solaris 9 Installation Problem on Ultra 60

Post by Shu » Sun, 30 May 2004 14:12:31

Hello,

I got a Ultra 60 from Ebay and tried to install Sol 9 on it.
Here are the problems I am really pissed off.

1) When I use CD V1 to start GUI installation, during the
installation process, there are two windows, one shows the
Current progress, the other one on the upper left corner show some
message like this:

          SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying commond

        got SCSI bus reset

        gm invalid interrupt while disconnected
..................(repeat the last two messages)

2) Or when I at OK prompt, when I enter `boot CD-ROM`, it says "can't
open files...."

3) If I use the Install CD (not V1 or V2), during the installation
process, it says copy error. O looked the log file, it was 'cpio` error
when copying some file from CD-ROM.

Is this the problem of the CD-ROM or the CD disk (I downloaded from SUN
and burned on cdrw).

Could anyone give some help here, I am really appreciated that.

Thanks,

Shu

Post by Shu » Sun, 30 May 2004 15:57:04

> Hello,

> I got a Ultra 60 from Ebay and tried to install Sol 9 on it.
> Here are the problems I am really pissed off.

> 1) When I use CD V1 to start GUI installation, during the
> installation process, there are two windows, one shows the
> Current progress, the other one on the upper left corner show some
> message like this:

>          SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying commond

>     got SCSI bus reset

>     gm invalid interrupt while disconnected
> ..................(repeat the last two messages)

(Sorry I forgot this)
and at a point, it stopped and said "can't create /a/var/.....
installation failed"

Quote:

Post by Peter Meise » Sun, 30 May 2004 22:03:27

Shu schrieb:

>> Hello,

>> I got a Ultra 60 from Ebay and tried to install Sol 9 on it.
>> Here are the problems I am really pissed off.

>> 1) When I use CD V1 to start GUI installation, during the
>> installation process, there are two windows, one shows the
>> Current progress, the other one on the upper left corner show some
>> message like this:

>>          SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying commond

>>     got SCSI bus reset

>>     gm invalid interrupt while disconnected
>> ..................(repeat the last two messages)

> (Sorry I forgot this)
> and at a point, it stopped and said "can't create /a/var/.....
> installation failed"

>> 2) Or when I at OK prompt, when I enter `boot CD-ROM`, it says "can't

You should enter 'boot cdrom' and also make shure, that cdrom is the
correct devalias.

I recommend using the Software CD 1 to install Solaris.

The above Messages look like SCSI Error messages. Did you change your
SCSI Hardware? Possibly any Termination Issues?

PM

BTW, I have the same machine and no problems at all.

Post by Shu » Mon, 31 May 2004 06:05:23

> Shu schrieb:

>>> Hello,

>>> I got a Ultra 60 from Ebay and tried to install Sol 9 on it.
>>> Here are the problems I am really pissed off.

>>> 1) When I use CD V1 to start GUI installation, during the
>>> installation process, there are two windows, one shows the
>>> Current progress, the other one on the upper left corner show some
>>> message like this:

>>>          SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying commond

>>>     got SCSI bus reset

>>>     gm invalid interrupt while disconnected
>>> ..................(repeat the last two messages)

>> (Sorry I forgot this)
>> and at a point, it stopped and said "can't create /a/var/.....
>> installation failed"

>>> 2) Or when I at OK prompt, when I enter `boot CD-ROM`, it says "can't

> You should enter 'boot cdrom' and also make shure, that cdrom is the
> correct devalias.

I did enter `boot cdrom`, sorry that's a typo

Quote:> I recommend using the Software CD 1 to install Solaris.

> The above Messages look like SCSI Error messages. Did you change your
> SCSI Hardware? Possibly any Termination Issues?

no, I didn't change anything

Quote:

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Mon, 31 May 2004 11:44:15

>>> (Sorry I forgot this)
>>> and at a point, it stopped and said "can't create /a/var/.....
>>> installation failed"

>> You should enter 'boot cdrom' and also make shure, that cdrom is the
>> correct devalias.

> I did enter `boot cdrom`, sorry that's a typo

>> I recommend using the Software CD 1 to install Solaris.

>> The above Messages look like SCSI Error messages. Did you change your
>> SCSI Hardware? Possibly any Termination Issues?

> no, I didn't change anything

>> PM

>> BTW, I have the same machine and no problems at all.

I am using an Ultra 60 and Solaris 9 12/02 (Sun CD's), no problems.

Sounds to me like your CDROM is questionable or the cabling of it.

As a last resort, since you bought this used and in an unknown state, I
would try resetting the OBP to its factory defaults. I once had an AC200
that just gave me intermitent boot problems (MMU memory miss etc) and I
couldn't boot the CDROM or something wierd like that. Then I reset the
OBP to defaults and that was the end of my problems. After comparing the
before and after settings, someone really dinged with the settings on
that AC200.

-Roger

1. Ultra 60 Solaris 2.6 5/98 installation problem

Hi,

I have been given the joyous task of administering some Solaris 2.6
5/98 boxes at work.

Not knowing too much about Solaris at present I have decided that
probably the best thing to do is try a test installation.

Unfortunately the 'box' of disks i have been given may not be complete
so I am experimenting a bit in which ones to use..

So far I have used a CD called 'Operating Environment installation CD
- february 2000' to start my installation on my Ultra 60.

At some point later during the installation i am asked to put in my
'Solaris 2.6 5/98' cd which i do and the installation seems to finish
ok.

The problem i have now is that when i get to the login prompt, every
key i press generates about 15 instances of itself in the login box
(it doesn't do this from the boot prompt.

what am i doing wrong?

ta

tim

2. Xgraph

3. cases of Ultra 30, Ultra 60 and Ultra 450 and PC components

4. Majordomo setup error

5. ultra-scsi diff. card in Ultra 60 (problem)

6. LILO Is Not Found In X-Windows

7. Help My Ultra-60 (solaris 7 5.7) has been rootkitted by a t0rn variant!

8. modules with kernel 2.4.2

9. /lib/cpp problems Solaris 9 on Ultra 60

10. Problem upgrading Ultra 60 from Solaris 9 to 10

11. Problem running Firefox 1.5rc3 under Solaris 9 on Sun Ultra 60

12. Problem upgrading from Solaris 9 to 10 on Ultra 60

13. Help! Problem with Ultra 60