Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

Post by Ben Bowe » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:47:19

Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If
memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a
Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. However, I
can't remember said command. Could anyone here enlighten me?

Thanks

Post by Raf LaPiet » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:57:02

>Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If
>memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a
>Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. However, I
>can't remember said command. Could anyone here enlighten me?

If that is a 440MHz t 1120 then you need to boot from a special Operating
Environment CD to install Solaris 2.6 5/98. No earlier version would work
either.

-Raf

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:43:53

>>Hi all. We are having issues booting Solaris 2.6 on a Netra t 1120. If
>>memory serves there was a command I needed to type at the OBP on a
>>Enterprise 5500 for it to recognize, and properly boot, 2.6. However, I
>>can't remember said command. Could anyone here enlighten me?

> If that is a 440MHz t 1120 then you need to boot from a special Operating
> Environment CD to install Solaris 2.6 5/98. No earlier version would work
> either.

There was a command that would change the CPU speed.  That might have
let it work.

If you don't have the operating environment CD, then you can set up a
jumpstart server with 5/98 and patch the jumpstart image.  I have no
ideas which ones are necessary, but I'll be just getting the kernel
patch and its prereqs on the image would get a good boot.

I suppose you could do the same thing to a 5/98 ISO image and reburn it,
but that might be a bit trickier.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Booting old version of Solaris on newer Hardware

Post by bozothedeathmachin » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 03:23:13

Thanks

1. what to do with old patches if I install a newer version?

The following is what I found in solaris FAQ. But there are things that
I still do not understand.

** Suppose I have a patch 123456-01 installed, and now I need to install
   123456-02. What should be done in a clean fashion?

   Should I get the patch 123456-01 and use its backout patch to
   backout the patch and then install 123456-02?

   What happens if I do not backout the patch?

   If you have 123456-02 installed already, can I still clean out the
   123456-01 patch?

   Why 123456-02 does not do the "backout" part for me?

Thanks.

3.38) Do I need to back out previous versions of a patch?

    No, unless otherwise stated in the patch README.
    If the previous patch installation saved the old
    files, you may want to reclaim that space.

    Patches can be backed out with:

            /var/sadm/patch/<patch-id>/backoutpatch <patch-id>

    Backoutpatch can take an awful long time, especially when the
    patch contained a lot of files.  This is fixed in later versions
    of backoutpatch.

2. XFree crash

3. Help with old freeswan and old linux on old hardware.

4. Linux/Alpha - Availability of Apps, ...?

5. ufsrestore to newer hardware does not boot

6. Linux Kernel 2.4 Firewalling Matures: netfilter

7. Is there newer version of os-bs123 boot utility

8. Non-Tech Administrative Benchmarks

9. Version PPP-2.1.2b ... Newer Version?

10. xfree86 update fails (module ABI minor Version is newer than the server's version)

11. Question running C++ compiled application on newer OS version versus on older OS versions of AIX?

12. Can I run metro-linx 1.2.4 motif version on newer Xfree version?

13. Need newer Boot Disk for Solaris 2.4 X86