why would 'cp' or 'ls -al' command hangs on Solaris 2.7 ?

why would 'cp' or 'ls -al' command hangs on Solaris 2.7 ?

Post by Kalpesh Pari » Sun, 16 May 2004 03:03:16

When running 'cp' command to copy a file from one directory to
another, it just hangs (files are not that big).  Same thing happens
with 'ls -al' command.

Where do I need to look to see what is going on ?  Do I need to
refresh any daemon ?

Thank you in advance.

KP

why would 'cp' or 'ls -al' command hangs on Solaris 2.7 ?

Post by Barry Margoli » Sun, 16 May 2004 06:46:19

Quote:> When running 'cp' command to copy a file from one directory to
> another, it just hangs (files are not that big).  Same thing happens
> with 'ls -al' command.

> Where do I need to look to see what is going on ?  Do I need to
> refresh any daemon ?

> Thank you in advance.

> KP

Use truss to see what it's doing at the time it hangs.

--

Arlington, MA

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 16 May 2004 10:27:41

>When running 'cp' command to copy a file from one directory to
>another, it just hangs (files are not that big).  Same thing happens
>with 'ls -al' command.

Does it hang when you use the command 'ls -an'?

If not, then the difference is in looking up the numeric owner
and group id in your naming service to find the owner and group
names.

I don't know why this would affect cp.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Post by Gary L. Burnor » Sun, 16 May 2004 11:59:26

>>When running 'cp' command to copy a file from one directory to
>>another, it just hangs (files are not that big).  Same thing happens
>>with 'ls -al' command.

>Does it hang when you use the command 'ls -an'?

>If not, then the difference is in looking up the numeric owner
>and group id in your naming service to find the owner and group
>names.

>I don't know why this would affect cp.

Perhaps the naming service is also causing it to *if a file
already exists?

--
gburnore at DataBasix dot Com
                    How you look depends on where you go.
                                      |  Y?3oY3T3oY33Y?oY3T3oY3Y3T3oY3YY?3
Official .sig, Accept no substitutes. |  Y?3oY3T3oY33Y?oY3T3oY3Y3T3oY3YY?3
                                      |  Y? 0 1 7 2 3 / Y3T 3 7 4 9 3 0 ?3
Black Helicopter Repair Services, Ltd.|     Official Proof of Purchase

Post by Kalpesh Pari » Mon, 17 May 2004 23:32:37

> >>When running 'cp' command to copy a file from one directory to
> >>another, it just hangs (files are not that big).  Same thing happens
> >>with 'ls -al' command.

> >Does it hang when you use the command 'ls -an'?

> >If not, then the difference is in looking up the numeric owner
> >and group id in your naming service to find the owner and group
> >names.

> >I don't know why this would affect cp.

> Perhaps the naming service is also causing it to *if a file
> already exists?

- Resolved.

It turned out that when our machine was attacked, /usr/bin/cp was
replaced by some other "cp" command which must be grep'ing out few
files so they do not show up when we do listing.

I copied "cp" from our backup and everying is working fine now.

Thank you all for your responses.

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Tue, 18 May 2004 00:52:51

|It turned out that when our machine was attacked, /usr/bin/cp was
|replaced by some other "cp" command which must be grep'ing out few
|files so they do not show up when we do listing.

That is why you need to do a complete reinstall/restore from backup when
a machine is compromised, as attackers will install as many backdoors
and trojan horses as they can to enable them to continue using the
machine even if you patch the security hole they originally exploited.

Post by Greg Andre » Tue, 18 May 2004 01:00:22

>It turned out that when our machine was attacked, /usr/bin/cp was
>replaced by some other "cp" command which must be grep'ing out few
>files so they do not show up when we do listing.

But cp doesn't list files.  Did you mean ls?

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

1. ssh hangs on commands like 'ls -al', 'vi'

I have a weird problem when accessing Suse linux machine from my work
network with ssh.  The problem is basically ssh session hangs when I
do simple commands like 'ls -al', 'vi ..', etc.  This only seems to be
a problem with Suse linux box.  I accessed the redhat linux box at
home from work and that works fine. No problem.  The funny thing is
that there is also no problem in accessing SuSe linux box while I am
on home network.  i.e I'm ssh'ing from one of the other windows box to
the SuSe linux box.

So, what is it about the network at work that causes the ssh hang
problem on SuSe linux box.

Thanks for any help.

2. trap command question (ksh)

3. ssh hangs with commands like 'ls -la', 'vi ...' etc.

4. Driver for HP officejet family?

5. Why does 'ls' give '/' as the output?

6. setting up linux server....

7. hex <-> int conversion routines.

8. ?? ftp 'ls'-command with 'pg' ??

9. 64k files in dir - 'ls' slow but 'strace ls' fast?

10. 'ls -e' vs 'ls -l'

11. Down 'Solaris' NFS Server hangs 'Solaris' Client

12. Odd Solaris problem: file is seen by 'vi' but not 'ls' ???